Before you read our review of the Airthereal you should be aware that according to the FDA, “Ozone is a toxic gas…” and that “In order for ozone to be effective as a germicide, it must be present in a concentration far greater than that which can be safely tolerated by man and animals.”
As such, ozone generators (including the Airthereal) MUST be used with extreme caution and never around people or other living things.
See more information from the FDA’S warning here and continue below for our full Airthereal review.
Residential Ozone for Odor Elimination
Airthereal Ozone GeneratorThe Airthereal digital ozone generator uses the power of ozone to purge out unwanted odors from indoor spaces. While it is unsafe to breathe in ozone, you can use this generator to help eliminate strong odors while you’re away. Check Price
- Effectively eliminates foul or unwanted odors
- Small and compact design
- Simple controls make it easier to use
- Must leave the room while the unit it running
- Unit gives off a strong smell of ozone, which does take time to dissipate even after the unit has been turned off
- Ozone can be harmful to your health if ingested or around it for long periods of time
The Airthereal ozone generator has a small, compact design with a metal shell and carrying handle on top. That shell is made of 304 grade stainless steel and shell runs around the sides of the generator with fan inlet and outlets on the front and back.
The fan is 100CFM (cubic feet per minute) and also includes an extra washable pre-filter.
There is a digital display screen that shows features like:
- Fan speed
- Ozone level
There are five control buttons on this unit that sit right below the display screen. They have a contrasting blue color to set them apart from the rest of the body of the generator.
These controls can be used to perform the following:
- Turn the generator on or off
- Adjust fan speed
- Change ozone level
- Cycle through interval modes (12 or 24 hour modes)
- Set the timer
The entire generator is powered by a standard 110-Volt outlet with a grounded power cord for safety.
How does ozone remove odors?
The air that you breathe is basically made up of three parts — 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% of a combination of other gases.
In comparison, ozone contains three atoms of straight oxygen. The third oxygen atom makes ozone extremely reactive, which readily attaches itself to other molecules.
When pollutants meet ozone, oxidation reactions occur and both parties are destroyed.
After treating the odor, ozone basically reverts back to traditional oxygen.
Because of this different atomic composition, ozone is not considered safe for long periods of exposure. This rule applies to humans, pets, and even plants.
How much ozone does this generator emit?
The Airthereal digital ozone generator can produce between 2,000 – 10,000 mg/h of ozone, depending on the cycle mode, fan speed, and ozone level.
WARNING: Want the facts on maximum acceptable level of ozone? Click here for the FDA’s official report on the topic.
So what is the purpose of a digital ozone generator? Well basically it comes down to the ability for the Airthereal to create and disperse ozone into the air.
The presence of ozone can have two main benefits on the air you breathe:
- Odor Elimination: This is probably the primary use of ozone in residential environments. The presence of ozone can help to combat food odors, smoke (from fires, cigarettes, or even drug use), pet odors, or bodily odors.
- Germ / Mold Elimination. Ozone atoms can bond with harmful airborne particulate like allergens, dust, or mold and kill the spores or atoms that make them up. This helps to keep household germs at bay.
RELATED: Do air purifiers remove odors?
This ozone generator has a timer function that allows you to produce ozone for up to 12 hours at a time. There are two programmed cycles you can select from.
- 12-hour cycle
- 24-hour cycle
Once you select a frequency cycle, the generator will get to work and product ozone at the same time of day every 12 or 24 hours.
Size & Dimensions
The Airthereal digital ozone generator is small, compact, and fairly lightweight. It is easy to carry between rooms as needed.
Exact dimensions are listed below:
- 11.5″ long
- 10.8″ wide
- 9.7″ high
This ozone generator weighs 6.6 pounds.
Accessories & Parts
Concerning additional parts and accessories, the Airthereal digital ozone doesn’t come with many. Upon purchasing and unboxing the Airthereal, you’ll have the following:
- Airthereal MA10K-PRODIGI Digital Ozone Generator
- Power cord
- Extra pre-filter (washable)
- “Do Not Enter” door tag
- User manual
Concerning performance, our testing process has to be tweaked a bit from how we usually score air purifiers. Because the Airthereal is, in fact, NOT an air purifier.
Air purifiers are designed to:
- Reduce airborne particulate
- Improve indoor air quality (AQI Index)
- Deodorize the air (more effective if they have a carbon filter)
The Airthereal digital ozone generator is designed solely to deodorize the air.
During our performance test, the Airthereal generator did not improve indoor air quality. If anything, it made the air quality worse and dangerous to breathe in (at least until is dissipated).
- PM2.5: 11.8
- PM10: 17.9
- Particles: 825
- AQI: 48
After 1 Hour
- PM2.5: 32.8
- PM10: 50.7
- Particles: 2059
- AQI: 95
That being said, it feels a bit unfair to judge this generator on it’s ability to purify the air since that’s not what it’s designed to do exactly.
Strictly considering odors, the Airthereal was about to deodorize the room we tested it in, after the initial smell of ozone dissipated. (still present at 1 hour; not present at 72 hours).
If you have a strong smell in an area that you can easily close off from other occupants, this generator would certainly do the job.
Setup & Usability
Setting up the Airthereal ozone generator is a simple process, which makes it easy to turn it on and head out the door while it works.
After upboxing this generator:
- Plug it in.
- Press “Power” to turn it on.
- Select a fan speed + ozone output level.
- Turn on a repeating cycle or set a timer for one-time use.
- LEAVE THE ROOM. This is an important step, as prolonged exposure to ozone can be very dangerous to your health.
To keep the Aithereal ozone generator in good working order, there are just a few quick tasks.
- Wash the pre-filter as dust builds up. Reinstall once it’s dry.
- Keep the unit in a cool and dry space when it’s in storage.
The ozone plate is meant to be used for years. Only change the plate when the blue light on it starts to fade. Smelling stronger levels of ozone is also a sign that it may be time for a replacement.
Is the Airthereal generator a good value?
So fact, features, and warning labels aside… is the Airthereal ozone generator a good value? I would say the value depends on what you plan on doing with it.
If you’re looking to cancel out the smell of last night’s dinner from your small apartment, this tool would not be the best value. I would skip the dangers of ozone and opt for a HEPA filter with a carbon filter for odors.
RELATED: Best Air Purifiers for 2020
If you’re looking to cancel out the smell of renters who left a property with a fridge full of spoiled food, this generator would be an excellent value.
The best value is served when you are using this generator:
- To eliminate strong odors
- In contained spaces
- Away from people, pets, or plants
If this scenario is repeated multiple times and you can get a lot of use out of this generator then the value would increase.
|Filters||Pre-filter + ozone plate|
|Returns||Varies by retailer|
Should you buy the Airthereal ozone generator?
I would recommend the Airthereal if you’re looking for an ozone generator with the following features:
- Great odor elimination: If you have an especially pungent odor that you are having trouble removing, ozone is an effective way to rid the smell. If run for too long, you may start to notice the ozone itself giving off a smell, but it works well for its intended purpose.
- You’re going to use it away from people: Because ozone is dangerous to breathe in you need to be able to use this in locations that people aren’t in / nearby.
For more information or the buy the Airthereal ozone generator, click here.
Powerful Ozone Generator
- Design - 92%92%
- Performance - 94%94%
- Quality - 94%94%
- Usability - 90%90%
- Value - 93%93%
The Airthereal digital ozone generator is a powerful machine that can do a great job od eliminating odors. But it can only be used in specific situations. Ozone can be very dangerous if breathed in at high levels so this generator can only be run in spaces that are unoccupied by people, pets, or even plants. Once the ozone dissipates, the original odor was gone (during our testing experience). Even then, all of the working conditions that must be met in order to safely run this generator do make it a bit hard for the average household to use.