Looking for an air purifier that can handle large spaces without skipping a beat? Check out the Alen BreatheSmart Classic True HEPA Air Purifier.
This review is going to dive into the in’s and outs and answer the question—is it worth the money?
High Area Coverage with Flexible Options
Alen BreatheSmart air purifierThe Alen BreatheSmart Classic air purifier is a large purifier designed for XL spaces, cleaning up to 1,100 sf. every 30 minutes. It has a real time air quality indicator and sensor on-board as well as the ability to manually change modes or fan speeds. There are also two interchangeable covers, classic white or wood tone. A solid option if you’re looking for a large purifier with the power to address big spaces. Check Price
Alen Breathesmart Comparison Chart
There are currently five different versions of the Alen Breathesmart air purifier:
|BreatheSmart 75i||Check Price|
|BreatheSmart 45i||Check Price|
|BreatheSmart Classic||Check Price|
|BreatheSmart FIT50||Check Price|
|BreatheSmart FLEX||Check Price|
Alen Classic Design
The design of this air purifier is simple and powerful. It’s a bit large in terms of the respective size, but I would say that size equates to power (and area coverage in this case.
It is a larger unit but covers up to 1,100 sf. This purifier has air quality detection which allows it to sense current air quality and adjust the fan speed accordingly.
Controls on the top of the unit are accessible and intuitive for most users.
Using the touch controls, you can:
- Turn the purifier on / off
- Adjust fan speed
- Check filter life
- Turn auto mode on / off
- Dim the lights
- Check the current air quality using the LED light rings
Air Quality Detection
As current air quality conditions change, the colored ring in the center of the purifier will change colors.
The three different levels of air quality are:
- Red: dirty air
- Yellow: moderately clean air
- Blue: clean air
Do all BreatheSmart purifiers have Air Quality Detection?
The answer is no. The BreatheSMart FLEX does not have this technology, but you can manually change fan speeds as needed.
The BreatheSmart Classic also has excellent area coverage, up to 1,100 square feet, which is perfect for large, open-concept spaces.
Not only is the area coverage good on this purifier, but it’s also fast, cleaning the whole area every 30 minutes.
The stats above are based on the Alen BreatheSmart Classic air purifier, but different spaces call for different models. The BreatheSmart lineup spans from a purifier for 700 sf up to 1300 sf.
The BreatheSmart Classic purifier has a fixed size, but it also offers two interchangeable covers. One is white and the other is a wood tone.
These panels are easy to install to access also allow quick access to the filters when it’s time to replace.
How big is the Alen Breathesmart Classic?
The BreatheSmart Classic is large, but not unreasonable. The rounded corners and sleek design helps this purifier to neatly be placed against a wall so that it is out of the way, without sacrificing performance.
Here are the exact dimensions:
- Width: 17.75″
- Depth: 10″
- Height: 26.75″
- Cord Length: 6′
This air purifier has four different kinds of filters to choose from.
- HEPA Pure
- HEPA Silver
- HEPA FreshPlus
- HEPA OdorCell
Each filter has a slightly different cost, which is added to the overall cost of the filter (or a filter can be purchased separately).
Here is a rundown of the similarities and differences between each filter.
|HEPA Pure||HEPA Silver||HEPA FreshPlus||HEPA OdorCell|
|Allergies / Dust||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Mold / Bacteria||No||Yes||No||No|
|Chemicals / VOCs||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Smoke / Cooking Odors||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Pet / Diaper Odor||No||No||No||Yes|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
The most popular filter is the HEPA-Pure, which would run you about $79 for every replacement if purchased directly from the manufacturer.
Alen also offers a filter subscription program that allows you to purchase filters as a one-time basis or on an AutoShip program. If you opt for the AutoShip, you can save 5%
AutoShip programs can ship supplies every:
- 6 months
- 9 months
- 12 months
- 15 months
What’s in the box?
Each Alen BreatheSmart comes with basically the same contents, regardless of the model.
You will get:
- BreatheSmart air purifier
- True HEPA Pure filter (or other if you opt for a different filter)
- Designer panel (optional)
- Quick start guide
While we haven’t personally tested this air purifier yet, there are a few notes we can make about the performance.
#1: It moves a lot of air.
The ability to move air throughout 1100 sf within 30 minutes is a good sign of solid performance. An air purifier with poor fan speed would struggle to clean the air simply due to the inability to process it effectively.
#2: If the performance is bad, you will know it.
Since there is an air quality detection sensor on this unit, if it’s terrible at cleaning the air, you would know it. Poor performance can’t hide from an air quality sensor.
#3: There are targeted air filters.
Based on your specific environment, there are different filters available for different needs. The filters are all large and designed to tackle different ailments like allergens, germs, chemical odors, smoke, pet odor, dander, etc.
#4: It comes with a lifetime warranty.
If you opt for the filter subscription and register your purifier, the Alen BreatheSmart will come with a lifetime warranty. If it turns out that it doesn’t perform like you thought it would, you can replace a part or return the unit altogether.
If you purchase this purifier from a third party, it will likely still come with a 30-90 day return period that gives you a grace period if the performance doesn’t meet expectations for the cost.
The Bottom Line
While we can’t definitively say whether or not this air purifier does what it says that it will do (at least not until we run it through our tests), we can say state the facts we do know. Based on the specs and information above, we would assume that this air purifier should be a quality selection for cleaning and maintaining good quality air.
Should you buy the BreatheSmart purifier?
I would recommend the BreatheSmart air purifier if you’re looking for the following in an air purifier:
- Large area coverage: The Classic covers up to 1100 sf of area (in 30 minutes), which is perfect for large spaces or open concept plans. Use it in your master bedroom or set up in an open living / kitchen space. The coverage combined with a modern aesthetic, rounded corners and a sleek finish makes this purifier a nice option for many spaces.
- Flexible aesthetic: There is a large access panel that can be swapped between a solid white or a natural wood tone. The panel installs in seconds and can quickly change the modern look of this air purifier.
- Air quality sensors: If you’re looking for an Auto Mode that can intelligently change to varying air quality conditions, the BreatheSmart is a solid option.
Which BreatheSmart is right for you?
Made it this far, but not sure which model is the best option for you? Here’s a quick recap of the 5 Alen BreatheSmart purifier currently available and what they’re best for.
- BreatheSmart 75i: best for max area coverage (up to 1300 sf) and a long-lasting filter (up to 12-15 months); also the most expensive
- BreatheSmart 45i: best for medium to large-sized spaces (up to 800 sf) with a shorter filter lifespan (only 6-9 months); moderately priced
- BreatheSmart Classic: great balance of price, coverage, and filter life; cleans up to 1100 sf with a filter that lasts 8-9 months; price and specs fall between the 45i and the 75i
- BreatheSmart FIT50: best for large areas (up to 900 sf) with a long-lasting filter (up to 10-12 months); price and specs fall between the 45i and the Classic
- BreatheSmart FLEX: great budget option if you want the Alen name, but not the high price tag; most affordable purifier compared and cleans up to 700 sf with a filter that lasts 6-9 months; lacks air quality detection, “pink noise frequency”, and the variable color options
Still have questions?
We’re real people, just like you. We have homes and families and like to breathe clean air wherever we can. Have a question? Please use the comment form down below.
We’d be happy to answer!
- July 24, 2020 – Initial version of the was published. This is a pre-test review, meaning we have not yet personally tested it. Our review is based off of manufacturer specs and other public information. Our scores are estimates based on our prior air purifier tests and research relative to the known specs about the Breathesmart line.
Impressive Air Flow & Sleek Design
- Design - 96%96%
- Performance - 95%95%
- Quality - 97%97%
- Usability - 96%96%
- Value - 94%94%
The Alen Breathesmart air purifier series is available in a number of popular models, including 45i, 75i, Classic, Flex, and FIT50. Each model’s specs are slightly different, so that you can find a purifier that’s both ideal to your square footage and other purification needs. The Breathesmart series also offers 4 different types of filters, each excelling in different areas including mold, chemicals, VOCs, smoking, cooking odors, and pets. All Alen Breathesmart purifiers have a sleek and modern look, so they’ll never stick out in your room’s design.