Inexpensive Smart Outdoor Camera
Blurams Home Pro CameraThe Blurams Outdoor Pro is a budget-friendly smart security camera. It’s easy to install and uses wired power for full continuous shooting or event only recording. You can save footage to a micro SD card or to the cloud (with paid service). A solid security camera overall.Check Price
- Facial recognition and “privacy” blur mode
- Audible flashing siren and 2-way audio for faster response and intervention
- View footage using SD card or Cloud
- Cloud video storage requires a paid subscription
- Doesn’t offer monitoring or 911-alerts, in case of detected threats
- Video Quality: 1080p
- Field of View: 129°
- Operating Temp: -4°F to 122°F (-20°C to 50°C)
In our view, the most important feature of a security camera is whether or not it’s able to identify people and specific features. Whether they are faces, license plates, or other small objects. A good security camera needs to have a good enough picture quality to allow identification.
To test this, we complete the following:
- Stand in the camera’s field of view at ~20 and ~50 feet (daylight hours)
- Take screenshots at each of those distances
- Crop just the face at each of those distances and increase the size, so we can determine if we can see detailed features
Here is our wide view test at ~20 feet.
And here is our wide view test at ~50 feet.
Lastly, below we have a side-by-side comparison of facial features at each of those distances.
In general, the picture quality feels pretty solid, especially at 20 feet. There is no doubt at that close of a distance you will be able to identify a person. At 50 feet, the resolution isn’t quite good enough to make out the person’s face with much clarity.
The video quality of the Blurams Pro outdoor camera is high quality and clear, during day or night footage. The quality is 1080p high definition and it has a max field of view up to 129°.
The video quality is high enough to offer facial recognition which could be a handy feature if you frequently have people coming and going from the field of view. This helps to limit “false alerts” as well as discerning between people, pets, and other detected motion.
Lastly, the privacy blur is another handy feature for custom video footage. This technology allows you to block off areas that you want to remain private or simply aren’t a threat and you don’t want to be monitored.
The Blurams camera has two-way audio which allows you to hear any audio as well as allow you to talk back if you catch someone on camera who shouldn’t be there.
There is a built-in microphone and speaker on the body of the camera that helps to enable this function.
From about 3′ away, the Blurams outdoor camera emits around 75 dB.
Compared to the Blurams indoor camera we previously reviewed, the audio output is similar. For outdoor use, I would have liked to have seem a louder volume for greater impact, but it’s not bad by any stretch.
The design of the Blurams Pro outdoor security camera has a rounded white body and a black faceplate with lens. It is a wired camera that uses an attached USB 12V connection to power the unit.
For safety and outdoor purposes, the USB cord cannot unplug from the body of the camera. The cord is about 10′ long and plugs into a USB power adapter.
While there are no physical buttons on the camera itself, that doesn’t mean that the controls are difficult to access.
With the Blurams, you can control the camera using one of the following strategies.
- Use the app on your smartphone.
- Use voice control when paired with an AI device like Amazon Alexa
Viewing the Footage
Footage that is captured with the Blurams outdoor camera can be viewed in one of two ways.
- The Cloud: The Blurams outdoor Pro camera comes with a 1-month subscription to the Cloud. The Cloud allows video footage to be digitally stored at a remote locate that can be accessed using your smartphone or desktop.
- Micro SD Card: Footage can also be saved directly on a Micro SD card up to 128 GB. To see the footage, you can remove the card and plug it into your computer. The camera will continue to cycle footage out (removing the oldest footage first) unless you remove footage and save it to an external location.
Concerning features and specs, the Blurams outdoor camera has a variety of features that add to the product’s usability and overall security. Some of the top features include:
- Night Vision – uses a SONY CMOS Sensor, high-power infrared LEDs and IR CUT filter to provide a quality picture in low light settings
- Motion Detection – detects motion and is designed to differentiate between human, pet, or motion from other moving objects
- Facial Recognition – analyzes faces and determines if the people in the frame are known occupants or strangers
- Siren & 2-Way Audio – Audible flashing siren can be activated remotely when a threat is detected and 2-way audio allows you to be able to speak clearly to any visitors or intruders
- Storge Options – store video footage on a SD card or on the Blurams Cloud; can also opt for a continuous recording in the cloud to monitor your house 24/7 (one-month free cloud trial with free, rolling 7-day storage on the cloud).
- IP65 Weather Resistant – IP65 weather resistance protects the Blurams camera system from inclement weather
1. Night Vision
The Blurams outdoor Pro camera has pretty decent night vision. The image below shows camera footage quality at night.
2. Motion Detection
Whether it’s motion from people, pets, or other moving objects, the Blurams camera can detect motion outdoors and alert you. At that point, you can decide if the motion is typical or suspicious.
Suspicious activity can be alerted with the audible flashing siren or by using 2-way audio.
3. Facial Recognition
Facial recognition technology on the Blurams Pro outdoor camera can distinguish between familiar faces and strangers.
This helps to reduce the number of facial alerts to only people who are higher risk perpetrators.
RELATED: Want facial recognition inside the home too? Check out our review of the Blurams Pro Indoor smart camera.
4. Motion Detection
Motion detection is an important part of security for the Blurams Outdoor Pro camera. When it detects motion, the camera will record a brief 10-15 seconds alert video.
From there you can watch, download, or share the past 24 hours of alert video clips using the Cloud.
With the on-board SD card, you’ll be able to download the videos for free without needing a subscription to the Cloud.
4. Siren & 2-Way Audio
When there is minimal light, the Blurams smart camera will automatically turn on night vision. Night vision mode uses a high contrast grayscale video to depict any motion that might occur in the dark.
5. Storage Options
Video footage from the outdoor Blurams Pro camera can be viewed by one of two methods.
- Micro SD card: Remove the on board SD card and install it into your desktop computer to view the footage. Footage will cycle through a recurring loop, discarding older footage to make room for new footage.
- The Cloud: If you prefer to keep all of the footage, you can also opt into a virtual storage cloud, which allows your video footage to be uploaded onto an external server automatically. This allows you to view longer periods of video footage, while also making it easier to access the footage.
5. Multi-Camera Viewing
If you want to use the Blurams Pro to monitor multiple outdoor areas around your property, this camera is a good option.
Using the Blurams app, you can pair up to 4 cameras and view simultaneously all on one screen.
6. Weather Resistance
The Blurams Pro outdoor camera is built to withstand a variety of weather extremes, including rain, wind or temperature variations from -4°F up to 120°F.
This durability makes it easy to mount the camera anywhere on your exterior where security is needed and not have to worry about the elements.
RELATED: Looking for an outdoor camera that can withstand more elements? Like water and sports contact? Check out the OCLU action camera review here.
Size & Dimensions
The size of the Blurams is pretty average in terms of size, compared to other units on the market. It is wider than most other cameras, but if you’re looking for a outdoor security camera to deter burglaries or suspicious loitering, the Blurams Pro can certainly stand out.
Exact dimensions of the Blurams Outdoor Pro are listed below:
- Width: 6.3″
- Height: 3.54″
The Blurams Outdoor Pro smart camera weighs in around 1.15 lbs.
Accessories & Parts
The Blurams Outdoor Pro camera comes with the bare necessities to get up and running.
In the box, this home security system includes:
- Blurams Outdoor Pro smart camera
- USB power cord (attached to camera)
- USB to wall outlet adapter
- Backplate opening tool (helps prevent tampering)
- Wall mount (optional)
- Drywall anchors (optional)
To record footage without the use the paid Cloud subscription, you’ll need to purchase a micro SD card in addition to the package shown above.
Setup & Usability
To get started with the Blurams outdoor pro camera:
- Unbox the camera and remove all original packaging.
- Install the camera.
- Connect to a wireless network.
- Install the app on your phone (or pair with an AI device like Amazon Alexa)
How to connect to the app
- Download the Blurams App and set up a member account.
- Click the ‘+’ icon on the Home page and choose the Blurams Home Pro
- Click the bottom Blurams and enter the correct wifi information.
- Scan the QR Code on the App.
- After hearing the beep sound, Click the button and wait about 20 seconds.
- Done — setup is complete.
Once you’ve successfully paired the app to your smartphone, you’ll be able to access all of the settings.
Here’s a quick overview of what the app looks like when it’s up and running.
Day-to-day operations with this outdoor camera are pretty easy; very much a “set it and forget it” approach.
How does the Blurams camera work?
Any time the camera detects motion (day or night), Blurams will take a short 10-15 second video of the activity and save it.
Video footage stores itself on the virtual Cloud or directly to an on-board SD drive, purchased separately.
To easily access the SD card holder, you can use the blue provided tool. Using this tool specifically, helps to deter burglars from tampering with the camera or removing the card in its entirely.
Overall, I would say that the Blurams Outdoor Pro is a solid value considering what you get. It comes at a value price, is easy to combine with other cameras, and provides app-enabled security during the day or night.
For a quick list of some of the value-adding features, see below:
- Face recognition
- Privacy mode
- SD card or cloud storage
- Multi-screen viewing (up to 4 cameras)
- 2-way audio
- Night vision
- App-enabled zoom
- Motion detection
- Optional siren
- Approved for outdoor temperatures from -4°F to 122°F (-20°C to 50°C)
Blurams Home Pro Camera Specifications
|Specifications||Blurams Smart Indoor Camera|
|Model||Home Pro 1080p|
|Operating Temps||-4°F to 120°F|
|Detection||Human, motion, and sound detection|
|Privacy Mode||Yes; blur selected area|
|Night Vision||6 LED beads with IR-cut, range up to 22 ft range(Non-invasive, perfect for baby monitor)|
|Audio||Two-Way Audio, Dual Modes: Intercom/Hands-free and 3D Noise Reduction|
|Storage||Cloud: One-Month Free Cloud Trial, Standard and Premium Plan available Local: Class 4 and above, 8-128G Micro SD Card|
|Orbit / Pan||No|
|Returns||Varies by retailer, other retailers will vary|
Should you buy the Blurams Outdoor Pro?
So all things considered, should you buy the Blurams Outdoor Pro camera? This camera comes in at a reasonable price and includes a wide range of smart features mixed with quality viewing performance.
I would recommend Blurams if you’re looking for the following features in a smart outdoor camera:
- Custom viewing options: The Blurams Pro offers features like “privacy mode”, facial recognition, and multi-screen viewing to really enhance usability of this system.
- Immediate threat response: If you notice a threat on your property, you can engage the audible flashing siren or 2-way audio to let the perpetrator immediately know that you are alert and watching.
- A great value: Considering all of the smart features that come standard with this camera, it provides an excellent value.
- Free video storage: If you don’t want to pay for the Cloud storage, you can get a micro SD card to automatically loop video footage for free.
Budget-Friendly Outdoor Cam
Design - 95%
Performance - 96%
Quality - 94%
Usability - 93%
Value - 96%
The Blurams Outdoor Pro is a budget-friendly security camera that’s easy to use and easy to install. The camera can be set to continuously record 24/7, event record, and other options. In addition, you can save foot to a micro SD card or to the cloud (with their paid service). Setting the camera up on the app just takes about 5 minutes. Once setup, the app is fairly easy to use. A solid value overall.