Need a fan, heater, and air purifier? Check out Dyson’s newest Hot+Cool Cryptomic HP06 air purifier.
It’s an all-in-one system that offers a unique take on air purification and brings one very important new feature to the table.
Let’s dive in and see what’s new!
Heating, Cooling, and Air Purification Against Formaldehyde
Dyson Hot+Cool Cryptomic HP06 ReviewThe Dyson Pure Hot+Cool Cryptomic air purifier is a compact purifier that serves a purpose year-round as it offers a fan, heater, and air purification. The HP06 is also unique in its ability to trap and destroy formaldehyde particles in the air, which can be a common irritant in many households. Wifi connectivity allows for smartphone control, pairing with the Dyson smartphone app, or voice control. Check Price
- Traps and destroys formaldehyde along with 99.7% of other particulate over 0.3 microns
- Heats, cools, and purifies the air
- Airflow up to 310 liters/sec
- More expensive than the HP04 model with similar capabilities
- Limited availability outside of Dyson.com
How does the Hot+Cool Cryptomic compare to the older Hot+Cool HP04? The one big difference comes down to one thing — formaldehyde.
The Dyson Hot+Cool Cryptomic has an added panel that breaks down formaldehyde into CO2 and H2O and never needs replacing, since it’s built into the machine.
What is formaldehyde?
Formaldehyde is a colorless, odorless chemical found in many household products and building materials and is pretty common in most homes.
It’s incredibly small (500 times smaller than PM0.1) and can be difficult for traditional air purifiers to trap and eliminate due to it’s small size.
Why is it dangerous?
High levels of formaldehyde in the air is linked to higher levels of cancer or respiratory issues.
Although there are dangers to overexposure of formaldehyde, it’s important to also note that this chemical naturally breaks down in the air (usually within a matter of hours).
The Dyson HP06 Cryptomic is designed to trap and destroy formaldehyde with a technology that directly targets the molecular structure of the chemical.
It uses oxygen in the air to regenerate itself so the plate will never need to be replaced—a really remarkable technology for air purification.
RELATED – What’s the best Dyson air purifier?
Dyson Hot+Cool Cryptomic Design
The Dyson Cryptomic HP06 is designed to be a fan, a heater, and an air purifier.
Aesthetically, it looks similar to the other models in the Pure Hot+Cool and is relatively compact in size.
The HP06 would be considered a desk-sized air purifier, about half the size of the taller TP06, which is a tower-style purifier.
There are two colors available of the HP06:
- Black + Bronze
- White + Bronze
The amplifier on the HP06 is located at the top half of the purifier. It has soft rounded edges and is designed to pull air through the amplifier and propel it into the room.
With the amp, air can flow up to 310 liters/second without the use of choppy blades or vents.
Dyson’s design of the HP06 allows this purifier to clean the air in any room, regardless of the size.
RELATED: Want the fan, but don’t need the heater? Click here to check out our full review of the Pure Cool Cryptomic TP06.
You can control the Hot+Cool Cryptomic using four different methods:
- Display Screen
- Remote Control
- Smartphone Control
- Voice control
#1. Display Screen
At the base of the Hot+Cool is a round display screen that shows indoor air quality and current fan speed.
When in Auto Mode, the purifier will adjust fan speed as needed to maintain good air quality (IE: the green line). If air quality worsens, the fan speed can adjust accordingly.
If you want to change the fan speed manually, the HP06 also comes with a remote control as well as the Dyson app to make adjustments.
#2. Remote Control
The remote control allows you to:
- Turn the purifier on / off
- Switch between heat or fan mode
- Adjust fan speed (1-10)
- Oscillate base of the purifier (0-350°)
- Reverse airflow (forward or backward)
- Turn on the sleep timer
- Turn on Auto Mode
- Flip through sensor readings (using the “i” button)
The remote control allows you to easily adjust settings on the HP06 as needed. When not in use, the remote magnetically attaches to the top of the purifier, giving it a safe spot to be stored.
#3. Dyson Link App
There is a smartphone app, by Dyson, that monitors indoor and outdoor air quality as well as allows you to change fan speed, adjust modes, or make other adjustments to the HP06 purifier, hands-free.
Using the Dyson app you can:
- Perform all the functions of the physical remote control (listed above)
- Provides real-time air quality monitoring based on your geographic location (ie. how bad / good the outside air quality is)
- Provides real-time air quality monitoring based on the sensor data from the Dyson air purifier itself (PM10, PM2.5, VOCs, etc.)
- Allows you to set an automatic on / off schedule
- Voice control
- Provides firmware updates to the purifier
#4. Voice Control
If you want a truly hands-free way to control the Dyson Hot+Cool HP06, consider voice control. This technology pairs with the Dyson Link app and allows you to control the purifier remotely when partnered with:
- Amazon Alexa
- Apple Siri
Simple voice commands can be used to change airspeed, air direction, or mode.
Filtration on the Pure Hot+Cool Cryptomic is basically the same as the filtration on other Pure Cool Dyson models.
The filter comes in two parts:
- 360° Glass HEPA filter
- Activated carbon filter
The act of these filters working together creates a system that helps to remove 99.7% of particles in the air, down to 0.3 microns in size.
RELATED: Do air purifiers really remove odors? Click here for the answer!
What about formaldehyde?
While the filters themselves are not able to detect, trap, or destroy formaldehyde, there is a special panel in place specifically for formaldehyde.
This panel is designed to break down formaldehyde into CO2 and H2O and because of it’s molecular structure, it is regenerated by oxygen, so it never needs replacing.
Size & Dimensions
The Dyson Cryptomic HP06 air purifier is basically the same size as the HP04, the model that preceded the HP06.
The exact dimensions are listed below:
- 9.8″ diameter
- 30.1″ tall
- 12.46 lbs
Accessories & Parts
Parts and accessories for the HP06 include all the basic things you need to get up and running, but not much more.
What’s in the box?
- Dyson HP06 air purifier
- Power cord
- 360° Glass HEPA filter
- Activated charcoal filter
- Remote control
As mentioned above, the formaldehyde plate is not removable so you won’t have to worry about installing or replacing that piece.
For a quick rundown of features, here’s the top 3 categories of what the Dyson Pure Hot+Cool Cryptomic HP06 can do:
- Smart Control
- Operating Modes
- Air Quality Assessment
Smart control is a big part of the overall usability of the Dyson HP06. By pairing the device with your smartphone or tablet via the Dyson Link app, you can quickly and easily see additional details about the status of the purifier.
In addition, the app also stores information about the indoor and outdoor air quality of your environment.
Wondering if the air purifier is even making a difference?
Charting the indoor air quality is an excellent way to put it to the test and see exactly how much your air quality proves with prolonged use.
The Dyson app communicates a lot of details about the indoor and outdoor air quality and it organizes the information on a timeline scale.
Air quality details that the app includes are listed below:
- PM2.5: particulate matter 2.5
- VOC: volatile organic compounds
- NO2: nitrogen dioxide
The Dyson Cryptomic HP06 includes three general operating modes.
- Auto Mode: When in Auto Mode, the HP06 will automatically switch back and forth between fan, heat, and varying levels of air purification. You can assign a target temperature which will adjust between fan and heat. Also, as the indoor air quality fluctuates, the purifier will adjust as needed.
- Custom Mode: Custom mode offers 10 different fan speeds and custom airflow direction either forward or backward. You can also customize airflow direction, oscillating up to 350° around the base.
- Night Mode: Night mode is essentially sleep mode, as it’s designed to dim the lights on the display and run at its quietest fan speed. You can also set a timer to run from 1-8 hours (2-hour intervals available).
Air Quality Assessment
Dyson’s ability to determine the indoor air quality at any given time is one of the HP06’s most desired features and for good reason. Showing this data on the air purifier itself (and additional details in the app) makes easier to see the exact impact that the Dyson is having in the space.
It also can provide peace of mind for users who want to ensure that the air they’re breathing is as clean as it can be.
Dyson’s air quality full report can be viewed in the Dyson app, but the display screen on the air purifier itself, making it easy to cycle through quick highlights.
Here’s an example of what the Dyson display could read:
So above all else, how does the Dyson Pure Hot+Cool Cryptomic actually perform?
To test performance we use the air purifier in our actual home… with actual dirty air. I have a dog, a wife, and a baby. We have additional environmental factors as well like any other home.
During our tests, we’re looking at a couple of different things, but some of the most critical include:
- Air quality index
- PM 2.5
- PM 10
- Particulate count
How do we test?
When we start the test we use the Temtop LKC-1000S+ professional air quality detector to get a good baseline reading. What is the air quality of the room before running the purifier?
Then we run the purifier for 60 minutes in the room and retest the data using the same air quality detector. The difference between the two measurements is noted and we can start to have a solid idea of how each purifier could be expected to perform in real-life scenarios.
Now, while we haven’t run an actual test of the Dyson HP06 air purifier quite yet, I can say that we have fully tested it’s like counterpart — the Dyson Pure Cool TP04. We’ve included our TP04 data below.
Both the HP06 and the TP04 have the same size and style of filters (360°Glass HEPA and Activated Carbon). The big difference between the two models is airflow. The TP04 can move air at a speed up to 363 liters/second while the HP06 maxes out at 310 liters/second.
NOTE: Airflow speed does not equate to room size. Both purifiers can purify small, medium, or large rooms. The difference is the speed in which it will get the job done.
- PM 2.5: 7.4
- PM 10: 12.1
- Particles: 599
- AQI: 30
After 1 Hour
- PM 2.5: 0.2
- PM 10: 0.2
- Particles: 14
- AQI: 0
Within 1 hour, the Dyson removed 98% of air particulates from the medium-sized room we tested in (approx. 12’x12′). Dyson improved PM 2.5 air quality by 97%.
Setup & Usability
When it comes to setting up and using the Dyson Pure Hot+Cool HP06, it’s pretty simple. This purifier comes pretty close to being pre-assembled when it arrives in the box. The basic steps for setup include:
- Unboxing the air purifier.
- Installing the filters and replacing the shroud.
- Plugging it in.
- Turning it on.
Pretty basic stuff. Without any additional settings, the HP06 will begin running in Auto Mode and self-adjust to the current air quality conditions.
For a more customized cycle, you can install the Dyson smart app and pair the device to your smartphone, which enables some additional features and data about the air quality.
Control it with the remote control, the app, or your voice. You can customize many features on this purifier including:
- Airflow speed (1-10)
- Airflow direction (forward or backward)
- Oscillation (static or moving / 0 – 350°)
- Sleep timer
- Night mode
- and more
To keep the Dyson Pure Cool Cryptomic HP06 running smoothly, there are a few simple tasks to do.
- Regularly wipe down the amplifier and filter shroud. Use a lint-free, dry cloth to wipe down outside and inside of the amplifier. This helps to ensure that air can freely flow through the amp.
- Follow the prompts when the TP06 tells you it’s time to replace the filter. Regularly checking and replacing the filter as needed is an important part of air purifier maintenance. You can also open the app to review filter status at any point.
Is the Dyson Pure Hot+Cool HP06 a good value?
So overall, is the Dyson Pure Cool Cryptomic HP06 a good value?
The answer to that question really depends on how important formaldehyde removal is to you.
The price is certainly higher than its predecessor, the Hot+Cool HP04, without really changing anything else between the two models besides the colors and the formaldehyde plate.
For homes that have detected high levels of formaldehyde or if you are exposed to high levels at your workplace, addressing (and removing) this chemical could be a top priority.
For those users, the value of the HP06 is better.
But if you are simply looking for a top-of-the-line air purifier that addresses common household allergens, dust, and other airborne debris, the HP04 would likely be a better value.
Dyson HP06 vs. HP04 Comparison
|Dyson HP04||Dyson HP06|
|Mode||Heating & Cooling||Heating & Cooling|
|Max Airflow||310 liters/sec||310 liters/sec|
|Amp Size||30.1" x 8.1" dia.||30.1" x 9.8" dia.|
|Weight||12.36 lbs.||12.46 lbs.|
|Accessories||Remote Control||Remote Control|
|Filter||HEPA + Carbon||HEPA + Carbon + Formaldehyde|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|Read Review||Read Review||You're reading it now|
Should You Buy the Dyson Pure Hot+Cool Cryptomic HP06?
For a fan, heater, and air purifier combination the Dyson Pure Hot+Cool Crytomic HP06 certainly checks all the boxes. It is compact in size but can treat rooms of varying sizes.
I would recommend the Dyson HP06 to people looking for the following features in an air purifier:
- Formaldehyde Elimination: Formaldehyde elimination is one of the biggest advantages of choosing the Pure Hot+Cool HP06 over the HP04 or HP02. It is currently the only Dyson air purifier with heating capabilities that can also address formaldehyde in the air.
- Heating and Cooling: If you’re looking for an air purifier that can be used all-year-round, the HP06 is a good option as it provides heating and cooling as well as forward or backward airflow.
- Real-Time Air Quality: The Pure Hot+Cool HP06 has a digital display screen at the base of the purifier that displays data about the indoor air quality. When paired with the Dyson Link app, you can receive even more data about the indoor or outdoor air quality as well as how effectively the air purifier is improving it.
Heats, Cools, & Purifies
The Dyson Pure Hot+Cool HP06 is Dyson’s newest heater, fan, and air purifier that improves overall air quality as well as trapping and eliminating formaldehyde, which can be a dangerous airborne hazard in many indoor environments. It can be controlled using a remote control, smartphone control, or voice control and includes customization for airspeed, airflow direction, and more. If formaldehyde elimination is a top priority, the Dyson Hot+Cool HP06 is a top-tier model to consider.