The Dyson Pure Cool is a popular air purifier with a ton of air flow (to the point it’s as much of a fan as a purifier). Available in small, medium, and large form factors, the Pure Cool is a good choice for many homes.
In today’s guide we’ll look at the Dyson Pure Cool review and help you determine if it’s a good fit for you.
What’s the Best Dyson Pure Cool air purifier?
The best air purifier is the one that best meets your needs and desires. Dyson does a nice job in creating purifiers with different form factors, specs, and features, which can help meet the specific needs of the users.
In our view, there are 3 models, each of which is the best Dyson Pure Cool air purifier in its respective category.
- Best Overall: Dyson Pure Cool DP04
- Best Value: Dyson Pure Cool TP02
- Best Compact: Dyson Pure Cool Me BP01
Best Dyson Pure Cool Overall
Dyson Pure Cool DP04The Dyson Pure Cool DP04 is our best overall pick due to its high air flow, mid-sized form factor, a dual filter design. The DP04 has the 2nd highest air flow, purifying 419 liters / sec. It uses 2 filters, a large HEPA to remove particulates and an activated carbon filter to remove smells and VOCs. Lastly, the mid-size design is nice whether it’s in a corner of a room, on your desk, or on a table.Check Price
If you prefer a bit more of a modern looking piece go with the Dyson Pure Cool TP04. Like the DP04, it also uses a 2 filter design. However, it’s considering taller and leaner than the DP series. In addition, its airflow isn’t quite as high, but still more than sufficient for most.
RELATED – Looking for a Dyson cooling air purifier that also offers a setting for heat? Check out the Dyson HP Series. This series is the only collection that Dyson currently offers with heating and cooling capabilities.
Best Value Dyson Pure Cool
Dyson Pure Cool TP02When it comes to the best value, the Dyson Pure Cool TP02 is the winner. The TP02 uses the tall tower design, a single large HEPA filter, and is able to purify 410 liters / sec. While we do wish the TP02 used the dual filter design, the raw purification power coupled with the price point makes this a standout value winner in our minds.Check Price
If the 2 filter design is important to you then you should go with the DP04. While it is more expensive, it’s not as pricey as the TP04. It’s a nice in-between price point.
Best Compact Dyson Pure Cool
Best Compact Design
Dyson Pure Cool Me BP01Last, but not least, we have the newest Dyson Pure Cool, the Pure Cool Me BP01. This purifier is designed for personal use. The compact design limits its airflow output to 257 liters / sec. However, that’s still going to be enough for most small and mid-sized rooms. It includes a HEPA filter and a compelling price point.Check Price
If the compact design is important, but you want a little more airflow, you should consider the Dyson Pure Cool DP04 or DP01.
The DP01 is going to be less expensive, as it’s the first generation version.
The DP04 is a nice upgrade with dual-filter design and 419 liters / sec of purification, while still maintaining a more compact form factor.
- Bladeless. All Dyson Pure Cool fans are bladeless and rely on either a large open amplifier, like on the DP & TP Series, or they use a different type of sensor technology like on the smaller BP Series.
- Real-time air quality assessment. These purifiers also take the guesswork out of air purification, as they have air quality assessment integrated into their design. When the air quality in the room drops, Dyson sensors will detect the change and can adjust accordingly. (This applies to all air purifiers with an “Auto Mode”. Some older models may not have this technology.)
- Comes in a variety of sizes. Between the three different series types in the Dyson Pure Cool collection, there is a wide range of sizes available, which makes this style a great option, regardless of your room size.
- Expensive. With all of the advanced features, it’s no surprise that these air purifiers are not cheap. Even the smaller purifiers have the same basic design and technology so it’s not likely that you’ll find a budget option within this collection.
- Pricey filters. The brand name Dyson filters can be very expensive to replace. That being said, there are many third party retailers that offer off-brand alternatives to the Dyson filters.
Dyson TP04 vs. TP02 vs. vs. TP01 vs. DP04 vs. DP01 vs. BP01
Below we’re going to compare the most popular and widely available Dyson Pure Cool air purifiers. There are 5 Pure Cool purifiers that we think are strongly worth considering.
It’s the Dyson TP04 vs. TP02 vs. TP01 vs. DP04 vs. DP01 vs. BP01.
|Dyson TP04||Check Price|
|Dyson TP02||Check Price|
|Dyson TP01||Check Price|
|Dyson DP04||Check Price|
|Dyson DP01||Check Price|
|Dyson BP01||Check Price|
RELATED – Want a purifier that can both cool AND heat? See our Dyson HP04 review.
Dyson Pure Cool Purification Tests
All air purifier reviews on Modern Castle go through our standard purification tests. For these tests we:
- Seal off a medium-sized room by closing the door and closing air vents
- Take a baseline measurement of air quality
- Run the purifier on high for 1 hour (longer in some cases)
- Take a measurement of air quality and compare to the baseline
We tested both the Dyson Pure Cool TP04 and Dyson Pure Cool TP02 as part of this review. Below are the results.
Dyson TP04 Air Purifying Tests
- PM2.5: 7.4
- PM10: 12.1
- Particles: 599
- AQI: 30
After 1 Hour
- PM2.5: 0.2
- PM10: 0.2
- Particles: 14
- AQI: 0
After running the Dyson Pure Cool TP04 on the highest settings it had reduced PM2.5 from 7.4 to 0.2, an improvement of 97%.
Additionally, the TP04 improved air quality from 30 to 0 and reduced particles per cubic liter from 599 to 14, an improvement of 98%.
Dyson TP02 Air Purifying Tests
- PM2.5: 2.8
- PM10: 4.1
- Particles: 279
- AQI: 11
After 1 Hour
- PM2.5: 0.2
- PM10: 0.2
- Particles: 29
- AQI: 0
Air purification performance on the Dyson Pure Cool TP02 was just as good as the Dyson TP04.
The Dyson TP02 was able to improve PM2.5 air quality from 2.8 to 0.2. Particles per cubic liter were reduced from 279 down to 29. And the air quality indexed reached and maintained a level of 0.
Dyson Pure Cool Types
There are 3 different types of Dyson Pure Cool purifiers:
- TP = Tower Purifier
- DP = Desk Purifier
- BP = Body Purifier
- 7.7″ x 9.6″ x 15.7″H
- Best for personal use
- Desk / Compact
- 8.8″ x 27.2″H
- Best for smaller rooms
- 8.8″ x 41.5″H
- Best for larger rooms
Dyson Pure Cool TP Series
The Dyson Pure Cool TP is a tower purifier. It’s fairly tall and intended to be placed on the ground. It’s ideal in a corner of your room and can oscillate to make sure air is evenly distributed.
See our full review of the Dyson TP02 here.
Which models are included in the Dyson TP Series?
Dyson Pure Cool DP Series
The Dyson Pure Cool DP is a desk purifier. While Dyson calls it a desk purifier, you can just as easily place it on the floor, a table, or anywhere else a normal air purifier would go.
While it’s not as tall as the TP series, it’s still about the same width on the base.
Which models are included in the Dyson DP Series?
- Dyson Pure Cool DP01
- Dyson Pure Cool DP02 (not widely available, possibly discontinued)
- Dyson Pure Cool DP03 (not widely available, possibly discontinued)
- Dyson Pure Cool DP04
You can find our Dyson DP04 review here.
Dyson Pure Cool BP Series
The Dyson Pure Cool BP is a body purifier. This is Dyson’s newest purifier and is intended for personal use. This purifier is really more for using on a desk, your nightstand, or anywhere that you want purifier air in your immediate vicinity.
Depending on the size of your room, it has enough air flow to purifier the entire room.
You can find our Dyson BP01 review here.
Dyson Pure Cool Comparison Chart
Below, we take our Dyson Pure Cool comparison a step further with more detailed spec level comparison for the above 6 models.
|Dyson Pure Cool Model||TP04||TP02||TP01||DP04||DP01||BP01|
|Mode||Cooling Only||Cooling Only||Cooling Only||Cooling Only||Cooling Only||Cooling Only|
|Max Airflow||361 liters/sec||410 liters/sec||434 liters/sec||419.6 liters/sec||334 liters/sec||257 liters/sec|
|Amp Size||8.1" diameter||7.7" diameter||7.7" diameter||13.9" diameter||16" diameter||N/A|
|Weight||10.98 lbs.||8.4 lbs.||7.9 lbs.||10.25 lbs.||10.7 lbs.||9.9 lbs.|
|Accessories||Remote Control||Remote Control||Remote Control||Remote Control||Remote Control||Remote Control|
|Filter||Glass HEPA Media + Activated Carbon||360 Glass HEPA Only||HEPA Only||Glass HEPA Media Only||HEPA Only||360 Glass HEPA Only|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
Should you buy a Dyson Pure Cool?
The Dyson Pure Cool air purifiers are among the most high-end purifiers on the market. They have a great looking design and perform exceptionally well.
You should buy a Dyson Pure Cool air purifier if:
- You want excellent air purification performance – During our air purification tests the Dyson Pure Cool performed exceptionally well. The Dyson TP04 was able to improve PM2.5 from a starting baseline of 7.4 down to 0.2 within 1 hour, an improvement of 97%. During the same test the purifier reduced particles per cubic liter of air from 599 to 14. It works fast to remove both smells and particles.
- You want smartphone control and integration – Almost all Dyson Pure Cool air purifiers are equipped with the Dyson Link app, this allows you to control via your smartphone or tablet. The link app is fast to setup and easy to use. You can monitor sensors, manually adjust the purifier, setup scheduling, and more.
- You want more control over airflow – Most Dyson air purifiers are able to oscillate and many can send air in either direction through the amplifier. This gives you a greater level of control over airflow, which is not something you see on most traditional air purifiers.
Still not sure which Dyson air purifier is best for you? No problem.
Please drop us a comment down below. We’re always available to help answer questions. We do our best to respond within 24 hours to all questions.
- June 14, 2019 – Initial version of the page published
Excellent Performance & Usability
- Design - 98%98%
- Performance - 100%100%
- Quality - 98%98%
- Usability - 100%100%
- Value - 97%97%
The Dyson Pure Cool air purifiers are among the best we’ve tested to date and among the best on the market (in our opinion). Smartphone integration with the Dyson Link app makes them easy to control. The TP04 dominated our purification tests, improving PM2.5 by 97% and reduces particles per cubic liter to just 14. If you want a purifier that does its job well and looks good doing it, the Pure Cool air purifiers are a good choice.