IP44 Outdoor Plug
iClever Outdoor Smart PlugThe iClever outdoor smart plug is designed with add durability in mind. The thick rugged plastic helps protect it from more difficult environments outside. It’s rated IP44 for waterproofing, which means it can be “damp”, but it’s not fully waterproof. The app is easy to setup and easy to use. A basic, but good smart outlet.Check Price
- Two smart plugs on a single input
- Rugged design
- Not completely water proof (can only be damp)
- Only supports 2.4GHz
iClever Smart Plug Design
Like most smart plugs, the design is fairly simple. The iClever has a single electrical input, but provides two smart plug outputs.
The two outputs can be controlled individually or simultaneous (if organized together within the app itself).
The iClever is billed as an outdoor smart plug. It has a more rugged hard black plastic that provides more protection from the elements.
An IP44 rating is defined as, “Protected from water spray from any direction.”
Given that it’s designed as an outdoor plug I am a little disappointed it’s not more resistant to water.
Size & Dimensions
The iClever smart plug is about the size of any normal outlet splitter.
- Length: 5.7″
- Width : 3.9″
- Height : 1″
Using the iClever Smart Plug
Setting up the iClever smart plug is easy and straight forward.
- Plug it into an outlet
- Make sure the power button is turned on
- Download and install the iClever app (which is called Smart Life)
- Plug your devices in
- Start controlling your devices from your phone
It took us around 5 minutes to get everything setup. There were no major hurdles or issues during the setup process.
Using the iClever App
Once the outlet is plugged in and the app is installed you can control the plugged in devices:
- By manually turning them on / off in the app
- Setting up scenarios, timers, and schedules for your devices
- By adding the smart skill to Amazon Alexa and controlling with with Alexa enabled devices. You can also control via Google Assistant devices.
We used the smart plug to power our studio lights. Once the app was installed it took just moments to setup automation and control.
Is it a good value?
Overall, I would say the value of the iClever outdoor smart plug is pretty solid.
On the plus side:
- It’s water resistant to an IP44 standard
- It has a rugged design
- Two electrical inputs
On the downside:
- Not fully water proof
My biggest gripe is that it’s not better rated for true water proof. So the idea that it’s “outdoor” is a bit dubious to me.
Even so, I still think it’s a solid value given the price and pros.
Should you buy the iClever Smart Plug?
The iClever outdoor smart plug is best if:
- You need a more durable smart plug – this smart plug is definitely better suited for outdoors, but it’s not perfect (due to the limited water proof rating). Nevertheless, it’s still better than most other typical smart plugs for outdoor use.
- You want two electrical outlets – having two plugs is usually better than one. If you have multiple devices it’s a nice extra to have.
- You want something that just works – in our in-home tests we found the plug to be easy to setup and easy to use. There’s nothing overly fancy about it, but that’s perfectly fine. It does what it says it does.
For more information on the iClever smart plug see here.
Durable Smart Plug
Design - 94%
Performance - 95%
Quality - 95%
Usability - 95%
Value - 90%
The iClever smart plug is designed for outdoor use with a rugged design. It’s encased in hard black plastic and has two electrical inputs. It’s not water proof, but it is rated IP44 and can get “damp” while still functioning. It’s a simple smart plug, but it does exact what it says it’s designed to do.