IKEA makes a wide variety of furniture, accessories, and décor to choose from. Can their Fornuftig air purifier stand up to its competitors? Let’s dive into our review and find out.
Simple HEPA Air Purifier At Good Value
IKEA FornufitgThe Fornuftig is an easy to use device that takes minutes to assemble and turn on. It forgoes features to keep the cost low, while still providing good performance with its filtration system. In our objective tests, the air purifier removed 96.9% of particles in the air, attaining a PM2.5 of 0.4, a PM10 of 0.6, and an AQI of 1.Check Price
- Easy to assemble, maintain, and use
- Simple and modern design
- Good value with good performance
- Some pieces could break easily if not handled with care
- No auto mode
- No remote control / app connectivity
Straightforward and Modern HEPA Air Purifier
Design - 90%
Performance - 95%
Quality - 95%
Usability - 90%
Value - 95%
The IKEA Fornuftig covers an area of up to 105 sq. ft. and utilizes a HEPA filter system to do so. The air purifier is simple and easy to set up out of the box. It is compatible with a carbon filter that is sold separately but can work with the included filters. The Fornuftig performs well in regards to air purification all with a modern aesthetic designed to blend in.
Overall, the performance of the Fornuftig was good. It did not match the performance of some of the high-end air purifiers we have tested before, but it did perform well for its price.
To test the Fornuftig, we set it up in a medium-sized room in our office. I took a baseline measurement before the start of the test to gauge current air quality. Then, I let it run for 60 minutes and took another set of measurements.
The difference between the baseline and post-run data gives a complete look at the performance on the Fornuftig.
What were the results?
- PM2.5: 22.9
- PM10: 40.3
- Particles: 1904
- AQI: 73
After 1 Hour
- PM2.5: 0.4
- PM10: 0.6
- Particles: 59
- AQI: 1
Within 1 hour the Fornuftig removed 96.9% of air particulates from the medium-sized room we tested in (~14’x10′).
Fornuftig improved PM2.5 air quality by 98.3%.
In order to take these measurements, we used the Temtop LKC-1000S+ professional air quality detector. This device allows us to get precise readings and performance bearings before and after our test.
Below, we’ve included information on the testing criteria and what defines good vs. bad air quality.
IKEA Fornuftig Design
The IKEA Fornuftig is designed to be simple with a modern look. It comes in two colors that change the body of the device. We were able to test the black one, however, it comes in white too, so you can choose the color that best fits your home décor.
The polystyrene (aka plastic) body is simple, yet durable. The body is designed to stand up on the steel legs included with the device. Alternatively, it has holes on the back of the device that you can use to hang it up on the wall.
If you choose to hang the air purifier on the wall, the instructions indicate cutting out a piece of cardboard that comes with the packaging, and using that as padding between the wall and the device.
If you want to stand the Fornuftig on the legs, IKEA includes a 3-piece option including 2 steel legs, and a plastic tube. These 3 are simple and combine together to form the base the air purifier can stand on. Be careful when using the plastic tube as it is brittle and could break easily.
The body of the device also houses a simple control wheel on the top with painted indicators to let you know what mode you are on, and a reminder light to notify you when to change the filter.
It also has a simple fabric handle that makes it easy to move around or can be removed if you choose to hang the air purifier on the wall.
The final piece that really adds some variation to the color and design is the filter inserts. The paper HEPA filter itself fits snugly into the device and is covered by a grey pre-filter.
The grey cover is constructed of a 100% polyester fabric and a polystyrene support frame and knobs to attach to the body of the Fornuftig.
Overall, the design of the Fornuftig is simple. It may not have all the bells and whistles you would expect from a more expensive air purifier, but it gets the job done while not standing out as much as some of its counterparts.
The Fornuftig comes with a simple 2 part filtration system including a pre-filter and a HEPA filter. If you desire, they offer a carbon filter that can be purchased from their site and it can fit with the HEPA filter to work at the same time.
The pre-filter catches larger particles, while the HEPA filter catches smaller particles like dander or pollen.
The controls for the Fornuftig are straightforward and simple. There is a dial on the top of the device that spins to the 3 different settings. There is also an indicator light on the top of the device to let you know when the filter needs to be changed.
Is there a remote control?
This air purifier does not come with a remote or have app / smart home connectivity. If you want to change a setting on the air purifier, you will need to go to the physical controls to do so.
How is it different?
The design of IKEA’s Fornuftig is simple and straightforward. It doesn’t utilize any bleeding-edge technology to purify the air, but it uses tried and true HEPA filtration to make sure the surrounding air is still clean.
It has a modern aesthetic that can blend in due to its simplicity while still being an air purifier you can rely on.
How does the filter work?
The IKEA Fornuftig uses a combination of a pre-filter and HEPA filter out of the box. The pre-filter is used to catch larger particles in the air like dust and pet fur. Next, the HEPA filter catches smaller PM2.5 particles such as mold or bacteria.
The device is compatible with a carbon filtration system as well, however that does not come with the initial purchase. If you want a carbon filter, you can purchase one from IKEA.
If you do get a carbon filter as well, it fits behind the HEPA filter, and it is designed to remove gases, odors, and VOCs.
Size & Dimensions
This air purifier is designed to cover an area of up to 105 sq. ft. The Fornufitg won’t be able to cover any large area sufficiently, but it will effectively clean any small to medium sized room.
Here are the dimensions of the device:
- Width: 12”
- Height: 18”
- Weight: 6.7 lbs
Accessories & Parts
The Fornuftig comes with everything you need to get it up and running out of the box.
Here’s what is included in the box:
- The Base: This consists of 2 metal stands that connect into the body of the device, and a plastic tube that connects the two metal stands together to form the base.
- The Filters: IKEA includes a pre-filter and HEPA filter in the box. These fit snugly in the body of the device and help clean the air in the surrounding area when the device is turned on.
- The Body: The Fornuftig has a simple plastic body that all the different parts connect too. The body also houses the control wheel on top, as well as a handle to make moving the device easier.
- The Power Cord: The detachable power cord that plugs into the bottom of the body and into an outlet to power the device.
How loud is the IKEA Fornuftig?
The amount of volume produced by the device can vary depending on the mode chosen. The lowest setting produces 28 dB of sound, which is similar to a white noise machine. Whereas the highest setting can generate 60 dB of sound.
Setup & Usability
IKEA designed the Fornuftig to be easy to set up and get running. They provide 2 different ways to set up the device depending on your needs. It can be set up with the metal base to stand by itself, or you can attach the air purifier to a wall.
Attaching the device to the wall requires some tools to be accomplished, but seems relatively simple. We used the base of the device to stand it up on the floor.
Here is how to set up the Fornuftig with the base:
- First, unbox the device and remove all excess packaging. If you are wanting to attach the device to the wall, make sure to keep the cardboard as IKEA uses it as padding between the Fornuftig and the wall.
- Next, take one of the pieces of the metal base, and insert it into the bottom of the device in one of the slots.
- You will take the other piece of the metal base and attach the plastic tube to the end that will touch the floor.
- Next, you will insert the metal piece with the plastic tube into the bottom of the air purifier, making sure that the plastic tube connects to the other metal piece.
- Now you will insert the HEPA filter unit into the body, and follow that up by covering the front with the pre-filter cover.
- Finally, you will plug in the power cord on the base of the device and plug it in.
At this point the Fornuftig is ready to run, and you can turn it on to clean the surrounding air.
There are two main areas of maintenance for the Fornuftig. The first being to clean the pre-filter periodically. IKEA recommends doing this every 2-4 weeks and can be done with a simple vacuum cleaner.
The manufacturer recommends replacing the HEPA filter every 4 months, but that depends on the environment the device is set-up in. Many HEPA filters we have tested last between 6-12 months based on how often they are running, and the quality of the air they are cleaning.
If you choose to get the carbon filter as well, similarly to the HEPA filter, IKEA recommends replacing it every 4 months.
Like the HEPA filter this depends on the quality of the air the device is cleaning and how often it runs. We have found in our tests that many carbon filters we have tested last between 6-12 months.
IKEA Fornuftig Specifications
|Filters||1 HEPA (carbon filter sold separately)|
|Room Coverage||105 sq. ft.|
|Filter Costs||HEPA: $5.99|
Carbon Filter: $12.99
|Warranty||No warranty information available|
Should you buy the IKEA Fornuftig?
Overall, the IKEA Fornuftig performs well at a very reasonable price. It isn’t the most feature driven in its design philosophy, but it doesn’t need to be. IKEA used simple materials in its construction and tested methods that work.
I would recommend the IKEA Fornuftig if you are looking for an air purifier with the following details:
- Easy to use: The Fornuftig is straightforward to assemble out of the box, and get working right away. It wasn’t designed to have many extra features, but by simply twisting the control wheel, the device is on and cleaning the air around it.
- Good performance at a good price: This air purifier performed well in our tests improving the PM2.5 levels by 98.3%. It doesn’t require new technology and instead utilizes tried and true methods that work well. Because there aren’t extra features on the device, this good performance comes at good value.
- Inexpensive replacement filters: A replacement HEPA filter is $6. This is just about the least expensive HEPA filter you will ever find for an air purifier. As a result, long term costs will be considerably lower compared to many other models.
- Modern design that blends in: IKEA used simple materials and color choices to make the Fornuftig a device that blends into any home. It has a simple modern aesthetic that can be hung up or stood on its base, allowing you to position the air purifier in the perfect spot.