Basic Purifier, Great Performance
Levoit Core 300 Air PurifierThe Levoit Core 300 air purifier is a basic air purifier with 3 fan speeds, a timer, and a sleep mode. It can treat rooms up to 215 sf. in size and had strong performance in our at-home tests. The 300S steps it up with air quality sensors and app connectivity.Buy DirectBuy at Amazon
- Good for small areas, maxing out coverage around 215 square feet.
- Lightweight and easy to move to various locations
- 360° HEPA filtration
- Auto Mode and real-time air quality monitoring (Core 300S only)
- No auto mode with the standard Core 300
- No LED light to display current air quality with the standard Core 300
For performance testing, we set up the Levoit Core 300 in a medium-sized room in my home. We used the Temtop LKC-1000S+ professional air quality detector to get a baseline reading for the existing air quality.
From there, we let the purifier run for an hour and then re-ran measurements.
The difference between the baseline and post-run data gives a solid picture of how well the air purifier was able to improve indoor air quality.
Levoit Core 300
- PM2.5: 4.0
- PM10: 6.7
- Particles: 214
- AQI: 16
After 1 Hour
- PM2.5: 0.4
- PM10: 0.4
- Particles: 29
- AQI: 0
Levoit Core 300S
- PM2.5: 3.7
- PM10: 5.7
- Particles: 859
- AQI: 15
After 1 Hour
- PM2.5: 0.1
- PM10: 0.2
- Particles: 54
- AQI: 1
Within 1 hour the Levoit Core 300 removed 96% of air particulates from the medium-sized room we tested in (~12’x12′).
The Core 300S removed 94% of air particulates from a medium-sized room we tested in (~14’x10′).
The Core 300 improved PM2.5 air quality by 87% while the 300S improved PM2.5 air quality by 97.3%. Overall, the Core 300 and 300S air purifiers did an exceptional job of purifying the air.
Below, we’ve included information on the testing criteria and what defines good vs. bad air quality.
In terms of performance, the Levoit Core 300 and 300S were pretty consistent with other results we’ve seen from Levoit. This purifier is compact, budget-friendly, and did a great job of purifying the air.
This Levoit Core 300 and 300S uses three stages of filtration for the best performance, including:
- Fine pre-filter: captures larger particles like dust, lint, or fibers
- HEPA filter: captures particles as small as 0.3 microns
- Activated carbon filter: for odors like smoke, food, or pets
The combination of these filters helps to ensure that all of the air is effectively treated and only clean air passes through.
When it’s time to replace the filters, a filter indicator light on top will glow to let you know.
Additionally, we also tested how loud the air purifier was while running. We perform this test by having the air purifier run on the three different modes and use a sound meter to measure noise level.
The Core 300S was tested from about 3’ away.
Our results showed the following decibel levels from each mode.
According to the manufacturer, the Levoit Core 300 is slightly quieter than larger Levoit purifiers. For reference, breathing is rated around 10 dB and a library would be around 40 db.
So even on the highest modes the Core 300 / 300s is still extremely quiet.
Levoit Core 300 vs. Core 300s
Here’s a quick side-by-side comparison for the Levoit Core 300 vs. Core 300s.
Levoit Core 300
- No air quality sensor
- No auto mode
- No app connectivity
- Reduced PM2.5 to 0.4
- Reduced PM10 to 0.4
- Weighs 7.5 pounds
Levoit Core 300s
- Includes air quality sensor
- Includes an auto mode
- App connectivity
- Reduced PM2.5 to 0.1
- Reduced PM10 to 0.2
- Weights 5.95 pounds
For most people the extra $30 for the Levoit Core 300s is going to be the better option. It has better performance, more features, and is easier to use. In my view, it’s the obvious choice.
Using the 300 and 300S was simple and straightforward. The Levoit Core 300 and 300S don’t really come with any accessories.
Here is what is included in the box with the 300 and 300S
- Levoit Core 300 or 300S air purifier
- True HEPA 3-Stage Original Filter
- User Manual / Quick Start Guide
Although they’re not included with the original purchase of the Core 300, Levoit does offer a few accessory filters for various needs. Each filter is modified with features specifically designed for different needs.
Optional Levoit Filters
Best For: Allergies, dust, and minor odors
Best For: Pet allergies and strong odors.
Best For: High air pollution, smoke, and environmental toxins
Best For: Mold, bacteria, and musty environments
Setting up the Levoit Core 300 and 300S is simple and intuitive. To get up and running, follow the steps below:
- First, unbox the purifier and remove all excess packaging.
- To remove the shell from the base, twist it counterclockwise.
- Remove the plastic bag of the filter before running the air purifier.
- Twist the shell to lock it back in place.
All of the controls for this Levoit purifier are located on the top in a circular layout. In the middle is the “on / off” button with various other functions around the circle.
The features include:
- Timer (2, 4, 6, 8 hours)
- Sleep mode
- Adjust fan speed (sleep, low, medium, high)
- Display lock
- Filter reset
- Display off
The Core 300S has all the same features as the 300, with a few extra.
The display also shows rings that indicate the current air quality in the surrounding area.
The Levoit 300 and 300S both have 4 fan speed options to choose from.
You can manually choose which fan speed you desire for either model. However, the 300S includes an auto mode that uses the internal sensors to best determine which fan speed to use
The Levoit 300S is able to connect to with the VeSync app for controlling the device remotely.
Once the app is connected with the device you can fully control the device from a distance. It has all the same options as the physical controls and more.
The app allows the user to set up a custom schedule, which can:
- Turn on / off
- Change the fan speed
- Turn display on / off
Additionally, you can set up Smart Scenes in the app, which allow the user to set up automatic actions based off of custom conditions.
For example: you can set the 300S to turn on automatically if its internal sensors notice a decrease in surrounding air quality.
To keep the air purifier running at its peak performance, proper maintenance is an important step.
With that in mind, here’s a quick checklist of maintenance items for the Levoit Core 300 and 300S air purifiers.
- Wipe down the air intake and outlet grills with a dry, lint-free cloth
- Replace the filters as needed, every 6-8 months as recommended by the manufacturer
The Core 300/300S also has a filter indicator on top of the unit which lets you know when it’s time to put in fresh filters.
Because the Core 300S has app connectivity, it will also notify you via the app if the filter needs to be replaced.
Size & Dimensions
The Levoit Core 300 and 300S are the same size and shape. Both are quite compact and ideal for a single bedroom.
Unlike larger air purifiers that are designed to sit on the floor, the Levoit Core can be used on the floor, a table, or a desktop.
- Length: 8.7″
- Width: 8.7″
- Height: 14.2″
The Core 300 and 300S are similar in weight as well, although there is a slight difference.
Core 300 Weight
Core 300S Weight
Should you buy the Levoit Core 300 or 300S Air Purifier?
All things considered, is the Levoit Core 300 and 300S air purifier the right choice for you?
These models are compact, lightweight, and a great option for small areas like bedrooms, kitchens, or home offices.
- Compact size: This air purifier is compact and lightweight. If you plan on moving the purifier around to different spaces or if your primary space is under 250 square feet, the Core 300/300S could work well for you.
- Value priced (Core 300): If you’re looking for a medium coverage air purifier for under $100, the Levoit Core 300 has you covered. This purifier strikes a balance of area coverage, solid performance, and a reasonable price tag.
- App Connectivity (Core 300S): If you want to be able to control your air purifier remotely, the Core 300S could be the right choice. The app gives you full control of the device wherever you are, and gives you the ability to set up custom schedules.
- Excellent performance: During our performance tests, the Levoit Core 300 improved the indoor air quality, reducing the particulate count by 96% and improving the PM2.5 value by 87%. The Core 300S also performed well reducing the particulate count by 93.7% and improving the PM2.5 by 97.3%.
Budget-Friendly, Compact Design
Design - 94%
Performance - 97%
Quality - 94%
Usability - 95%
Value - 96%
The Levoit Core 300 air purifier is an excellent small to mid-size air purifier with a simple design and user interface. It has a 360° HEPA filter that maximizes air input and output to help cover more area faster. There are 4 modes on this purifier; high, medium, low, and sleep. The Core 300S has wifi connectivity and an “Auto Mode”, which senses the current indoor air quality and adjusts the fan speed appropriately.