Today we’re looking at the new LG CordZero A9 Kompressor, a cordless stick vacuum with a long run time and tons of features. Let’s check it out.
Washable Parts and Compressing Dust Bin
LG CordZero A9 KompressorThe LG CordZero is designed for convenience, usability, and easy maintenance. It includes wifi connectivity, a compressing dust bin, 2 rechargeable batteries (giving it 120 minutes of run time), washable filters and cyclone, interchangeable cleaning tools, and simple controls located on top of the handheld. Overall cleaning performance was solid in our cleaning tests, however, the A9 did struggle significantly at removing cereal on all floor types. If we exclude cereal, debris removal scores are exceptional, scoring a 99% on hardwoods and 96% on both low and high pile carpets (see full data below).Check Price
- Long 120 minute run time, includes 2 interchangeable batteries
- Compressible dustbin allows for more debris collection
- Easy maintenance with washable filters, cyclone, and removable brushroll
- Storage stand looks and functions great, no more vacuum leaned into the corner of a closet
- Short run time in Turbo mode, only 6 minutes (per battery)
- Cannot stand upright on its own
- Not great at removing cereal from any floor type
The LG CordZero A9 stick vac is a powerful stick vacuum with some unique features that help it to stand out from other 2-in-1 stick vacuums.
Some of the most noteworthy highlights of this vacuum include:
- Flexible use: upright stick vac or handheld vac
- Compressing dust bin: clean for longer without emptying the bin
- Interchangeable batteries: includes 2 batteries with a combined run time of up to 120 minutes
- Removable brushroll: slides out of the cleaning head for easier maintenance
- Washable parts: wash the filters and cyclones to keep allergens down and lower maintenance costs
The vacuum comes with one main brushroll. It has short spiral bristles that help to agitate dirt and debris from the floor as it cleans.
When it’s time to clean the roll, there is a small red button on the side that allows the whole component to slide out from the body of the cleaning head.
This makes it easier to clip hair from the axel or untangle stuck debris.
RELATED: Looking for a stick vac with a separate cleaning head for hardwood floors? See our Dyson V10 Absolute review here.
The controls on the LG A9 includes:
- Power on / off
- Wifi on / off
- Suction adjustment
There is also a 3-tiered battery icon that shows a representation of battery power (full, mid-range, or low)
RELATED – What’s the best cordless stick vacuum?
This vacuum has three different suction levels—Normal, Power, and Turbo. The handheld vacuum is only avaiable in Normal mode.
How big is the vacuum?
The LG A9 Compressor stick vacuum is moderately sized for a compact stick vacuum. Exact dimensions are:
- Length – 44.1″
- Height – 10.2″
- Width – 10.6″
- Weight – 5.95 pounds
It has a telescoping wand (fully extended in the image above) that extends for hard-to-reach spaces or contracts for more compact storage.
This vacuum cannot stand on its own, but it does have a docking station that doubles as a stand and can be used freestanding.
Typically, these types of docking stations must be mounted to the wall so this was a refreshing change for docking stations. The stand is made of quality metals and plastic.
It both looks and feels well built.
What’s in the box?
The LG A9 Kompressor stick vacuum comes with a nice assortment for parts and accessories.
The full contents of the box includes:
- LG CordZero A9 Kompressor stick vacuum
- 2 rechargeable batteries: 60-minute run time per battery
- Washable parts: makes it easy to clean the filters and cyclone without expensive replacements
- Docking station: can be wall-mounted, standalone upright, or offer compact floor storage
- Floor cleaning head: spiral brushroll for carpet or hard surface flooring
- Punch nozzle: “punch” design uses a vibrating cleaning head to capture debris.
- Combination tool: uses soft bristles to gently dust surfaces or swap over to a wide mouth crevice tool with one singular tool.
- Crevice tool: has a hard narrow end that reaches in orders or tight spaces
To test the perofrmance of the LG CordZero A9 Compressor vac, we ran it through a series of debris tests (cereal, rice, kitty litter, and sugar) on three different floor types (hardwood, low pile carpet, and high pile carpet).
Here were our findings looking at all 12 cleaning tests. All tests were done on max mode.
The LG A9 notably struggled with removing cereal from all floor types. If we exclude the scores from the cereal tests, the performance is dramatically improved. If you don’t typically clean up large debris with your vacuum then the following scores are probably more relevant to your situation.
On hardwoods, the LG A9 did great at capturing rice, kitty litter, and sugar, but captured 0% of the cereal. Basically, the cleaning head wasn’t able to get on top of the cereal and instead simply pushed it forward.
For cleaning large debris messes, you’d need to use the crevice or combination tool with this vacuum in handheld mode. Even then, you’ll want to go slowly, as we clogged the LG A9 several times during our cereal tests.
Cleaning Low Carpet
On low carpet, the results were a little better than hardwoods, but still not great (in terms of large debris messes). These tests captured basically all of the rice and kitty litter, but only 66% of the cereal, and 89% of the sugar.
Again, you’d need to switch to one of the wider nozzle cleaning tools to capture large debris with this vacuum.
The inability to capture all of the sugar seems to be resulting from a combination of not quite enough suction and/or brushroll that doesn’t agitate deep enough.
Cleaning High Carpet
High carpet testing continued the same trend—great cleaning performance for rice and kitty litter, a little spotty on the sugar, and poor performance with large debris (ie: cereal).
Getting started with the LG CordZero is simple. Out of the box it is easy to setup and just takes a few minutes.
The Kompressor A9 can easily convert back and forth between a hand vacuum and an upright stick vacuum.
To switch back and forth between cleaning modes, it uses simple one-touch connections that snap into place, similar to the Dyson connection on the V-Series vacuums.
It has a telescoping wand for accessing hard to reach places or for more compact storage.
One feature on the CordZero A9 that is unique to this model is the Kompressor technology. On the side of the dust bin is a small red lever that, when pressed, compresses the debris from the bin into just the bottom half.
This motion helps to prevent clogs around the cyclone but also allows you to store more debris as you’re cleaning.
It’s a great especially if you are removing any type of fluffy of voluminous debris (ex. pet hair).
You can pair this vacuum with the LG app which lets you see information about your vacuum directly on your smartphone.
This vacuum has cordless power uses two interchangeable batteries for extended run time. Each battery pack can power the vacuum for up to 60 minutes.
That being said, cleaning modes with higher suction will reduce the overall run time.
- Normal mode (as a handheld): 120-minute max
- Normal mode (as a stick vac): 80-minute max
- Power Mode (as a stick vac): 40-minute max
- Turbo mode (as a stick vac): 12-minute max
Keep in mind, the numbers listed above are the combined total run times between both batteries.
So in Turbo mode, for example, each battery would only be expected to run about 6 minutes.
Between uses, it will take the LG approximately 3.5 hours to charge up. This 2-in-1 comes with a docking station that can be used as:
- a wall mount
- a standalone on the floor
- a compact floor unit
The maneuverability of the LG A9 is comparable to other high-end stick vacuums. It offers more maneuverability than most upright vacuums and the ability to run as a handheld is just more flexibility.
It is lightweight and pivots easily around tight spaces, corners, or under furniture.
It also can lay nearly flat to clean under furniture.
RELATED: Want to clean low without having to get low? See our Shark IONFlex DuoClean review here.
There are two filters in this vacuum that can be washed as well as the cyclone itself. This helps reduce overall maintenance costs and keeps the LG running like new, for longer.
In addition to easy filter maintenance, even the cyclone, can slide out of the housing making the whole vacuum easy to clean and maintain.
Is the LG A9 a good value?
Specs, size, features, performance…. after considering all of this, is the LG a good value?
I would say yes.
The price is higher than what you’d pay for a budget stick vacuum, but the price is not more than what you’d pay for a Dyson or other high-end cordless stick.
While the performance doesn’t match Dyson, there are a number of maintenance and usability features that make this vacuum easier to use and maintain than a Dyson.
If you mainly clean small messes and don’t need a vacuum to clean up large cereal debris, the LG A9 Kompressor could be a good option for you.
LG CordZero Specifications
Below is a complete list of important specifications and features included on the LG CordZero A9 Kompressor vacuum:
|Model||CordZero A9 Kompressor A927KGMS|
|Floor Type||All (indoor)|
|Max Run Time||120 mins|
|Dust Bin Capacity||0.97 L|
|Returns||Varies by retailer|
|Warranty||1 Year limited|
Who Should Buy the LG A9?
I would recommend the LG CordZero stick vacuum if you’re looking for the following features:
- Compressing dust bin: Especially if you have a lot of pet hair, the dust bin that compresses debris makes it easier to empty and can hold a higher capacity as well.
- You don’t vacuum large debris: The LG A9 struggled at removing cereal, but beyond that, cleaning performance was great. If you don’t find yourself removing large debris then the LG A9 should more than meet your needs.
- Interchangeable batteries: This vacuum also comes with two batteries so you don’t have to wait to charge up if the vacuum suddenly dies in the middle of a cleaning cycle.
- Easy maintenance: There are quite a few maintenance features that stand out on the A9. Some of the most notable include: washable filters, washable cyclone, slide-out brushroll, and easy charging at a multi-use docking station.
- June 30, 2020 – Initial version of the page was published. Given that almost all cleaning performance issues on the A9 were related to cereal, we elected to give the A9 a 90%, as opposed to our straight score (which would be an 80% with all 12 tests or a 97% if we excluded cereal score). This feels like a more fair and realistic representation of the performance. A representative from LG asked us to clarify the handheld nozzle is called a “punch” nozzle and to clarify that our con 6 minute run time statement was on Turbo mode. As both were clarifications of naming and facts, we agreed to make both changes.
Convenient and Easy to Maintain
- Design - 97%97%
- Performance - 90%90%
- Quality - 95%95%
- Usability - 98%98%
- Value - 95%95%
The LG CordZero A9 Kompressor is a full-size cordless stick vacuum. It uses 2 click-in batteries giving it a combined 2 hour run time. There are plenty of attachments and cleaning tools, including a well designed charging base (for both vacuum and accessories). On our cleaning tests it struggled at removing cereal, but handled all other debris with ease. It’s an expensive vacuum, but it makes up for it with great convenience, usability, and easy maintenance.