The Shark APEX DuoClean Zero-M upright vacuum offers three different cleaning options to tackle virtually any mess. Does it stand up to Shark’s claim that it delivers the ultimate cleaning experience?
Find out today with our Shark APEX DuoClean review of the AZ1002 model.
High-End Upright Vacuum
Shark APEX DuoClean Zero-MThe Shark APEX DuoClean is a high-end upright vacuum cleaner. It performed virtually flawlessly in our cleaning tests, scoring a 99.67% average across 12 tests. The DuoClean head had no issue at removing ultra fine particles like sugar and big stuff like cereal. Build quality was excellent and it feels like a significant step up (if not 2 or 3 steps) compared to the Shark Rotator or Shark Navigator. The Shark APEX is among the best uprights we’ve tested to date and is a strong recommendation from our team.Check Price
- Exceptional cleaning performance, scoring an average 99.7%
- The self-cleaning brushroll keeps hair from wrapping around the brush
- One of the most expensive Shark upright vacuums
- Fairly heavy at 17.1 pounds
- The overall design is bulkier than other models
Rather read than watch? You can see the full video review below:
Shark APEX DuoClean Design
The APEX DuoClean offered by Shark has the most power of their full-sized upright vacuum models. The combined technologies in the AZ 1002 model places the APEX DuoClean as one of Shark’s top upright models.
The detachable canister makes vacuuming stairs or under and behind furniture easier. The Powered Lift-Away technology is a welcome feature since the Shark APEX upright vacuum is heavier than other models.
LED lights are featured on the handle and floor nozzle. Swivel steering, also offered on the Shark Rotator model, helps with maneuverability.
The APEX DuoClean has an even wider cleaning path at 11” and the dust bin has a bottom empty design with a 0.88 dry quart capacity.
The DuoClean upright vacuum has modern lines and comes in espresso with a pop of red in the brushroll.
Overall, we feel the design and quality of the APEX DuoClean are superior to the Shark Rotator and Shark Navigator that we previously reviewed. The build quality in particular just feels like a notable step up.
RELATED – Best vacuum cleaners (all types)
The DuoClean Technology allows this model to go from high pile carpet to low pile carpet to hardwood. Each setting has a corresponding light indicator just below the power button. Flip the switch below the power button for the floor type and then turn it on.
The brushroll and soft roller work together to pick up short and long hair, as well as pet hair from your carpets and hardwood floors. According to Shark, you can also use this model to deep clean carpets (which we think is accurate; see our high pile carpet tests below).
Suction and the dual brushroll system combine to effectively clean your floors. The brushroll pulls up debris, allowing the suction to lift it away into the clear dust bin canister.
Shark boasts Advanced Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology, meaning all the allergens and dirt are better sealed in the canister until you’re ready to empty it.
The Powered Lift-Away technology gives you a 2-in-1 design in this Shark APEX upright model. Use the upright vacuum to clean floors and then the Powered Lift-Away for stairs and other hard to reach places.
The 17.1 pound vacuum is on the heavier side, so the the Lift Away canister creates the convenience needed without having to purchase an additional lighter handheld vacuum.
Anyone who has wrestled with hair wrapped around the brushroll will enjoy this feature in the Shark APEX vacuum.
The Zero-M self-cleaning brushroll feature takes care of hair removal before it becomes a problem. The nozzle has small protrusions that pull hair from the brushroll as it spins, so it won’t wrap around the brush.
Accessories & Parts
The following accessories and parts are included in the Shark APEX DuoClean with Zero-M Powered Lift-Away upright vacuum:
- HEPA filter and foam filter
- Upholstery tool
- Crevice tool
- Pet power brush
When you’re ready to clean the reusable HEPA filter, simply remove and rinse with water.
Allow to air dry before putting the filter back into the vacuum. To clean the foam insert, you’ll just need to tap off any loose dirt as needed.
Tools and Brushes
Several different tools and brushes make cleaning from floor to ceiling easier with just one vacuum.
Upholstery / dusting brush – The upholstery tool can be attached to the wand to use on soft furniture surfaces, like a chair or couch.
Crevice tool – Use the 12” crevice tool to get even further under or behind heavy pieces of furniture.
Pet power brush – The pet power brush attaches to the wand to get pet hair out of cracks and crevices the upright vacuum can’t reach.
Size & Dimensions
The Shark APEX DuoClean is:
- Depth: 11.2”
- Width: 12.2”
- Height: 46”
- Weight: 17.1 lbs
It also has a 30-foot long power cord, providing a full reach of 35.5 feet, including the hose capacity.
We expected the Shark APEX DuoClean to perform well. However, it exceeded all of our expectations with a cleaning performance that was virtually flawless.
The DuoClean head dominated both small and large debris alike, while it easily cruised through hardwoods, low pile, and high pile carpets. It’s among the very best vacuum cleaners we’ve tested to date.
One of the most common issues we see with vacuum cleaners, but especially uprights, is a struggle with large debris (cereal in our case).
The Shark APEX DuoClean had zero issues here, removing 100% of all 4 debris we tested without even the slightest of issues.
Low Pile Carpet
We saw a virtually flawless performance on the low pile carpet cleaning tests.
We were able to remove a little kitty litter and sugar that the DuoClean didn’t remove. However, it wasn’t enough to even measure on our digital scale.
Again, basically perfect.
High Pile Carpet
The Shark APEX DuoClean performance on high pile carpet was the exact same that we saw on low pile carpet.
There was a little kitty litter and sugar left behind, however, in neither case was it enough to actually measure on our scale.
The Shark APEX upright vacuum comes disassembled, but is easy to put together. The pieces click easily into each other with the following instruction:
- The wand connects into the floor nozzle.
- The handle attaches to the wand.
- Click the canister pod into place by lining it up with the wand and sliding it down until you hear it click into the base.
- Take the hose base and connect to the canister back, push until it clicks into place.
It took us about 5 minutes to fully assemble the Shark APEX vacuum.
To use in Powered Lift-Away mode, simply press the Lift-Away release button and then you can pick up the pod to use.
One thing to note is that of the four attachments that come with the Shark DuoClean, there is only room for two attachments on the vacuum itself.
That said, if you stick the crevice tool along the right holster you can put another tool on top of it. Additionally, the upholstery tool can slide into the dusting brush. This lets you carry all 4 tools at once.
The weight of the Shark DuoClean makes it harder to maneuver as an upright vacuum. The lightweight design of the pod makes it easier to use on stairs and as a handheld vacuum. This makes up for the heavier weight compared to other Shark models.
Despite the heavier weight, we did not find the Shark APEX difficult to meanuver. The center of gravity is low to the ground and the wheels are good, helping it more easily glide and turn.
The long wand makes it easier to get under and behind furniture, clean baseboards, and also get hard to reach ceiling corners. Not having to lift the full weight of the upright vacuum when cleaning the stairs is a plus as well.
Maneuverability Quick Facts:
- Weight: 17.1 pounds
- Turning: 45°
- Hose: 5.5 feet
- Power: 30’ cord
- Height: 46″
- Back Pivot: 180° (perfectly flat)
- Width: 11” cleaning path
My only major gripe about maneuverability is the relatively short hose. It’s only 5.5′ and fairly rigid feeling. As a result, you cannot clean very far away from the vacuum.
By comparison, the Dyson Ball Animal 2 has a 15′ hose + extension wand, giving you 50′ total feet of cleaning reach.
The Zero-M technology lives up to its name in the Shark APEX DuoClean, meaning you won’t have to pay maintenance costs with this model.
- The self-cleaning brushroll removes hair around the roller as it’s picked up.
- The included HEPA filter with foam insert is washable and reusable. Simply run it under water to clean and then let it dry completely before reinstalling.
- In between cleanings, you can simply tap any loose dirt from the foam filters so you don’t lose suction performance.
The canister dust cup can hold up to 0.88 quarts / 0.83 liters / 0.22 gallons of dry dirt and dust.
When you’re ready to empty it, click the release button to remove the dust cup. Then, hold it over the trash can and flip the tab on the front of the canister to dump the contents from the bottom.
We like that the canister opens from the bottom so you’re less likely to get dust and other debris any place other than the trash can.
Noise output was fairly typical of a high-powered upright vacuum cleaner. The noise did vary slightly between the different cleaning modes.
Using a electronic decibel measuring device we recorded the following noise levels:
- Hardwood mode – 73 dB
- Low pile carpet mode – 76 dB
- High pile carpet mode – 77 dB
So, after all our tests, do we think it’s worth the cost?
In a word, absolutely.
The Shark APEX DuoClean impressed at every stage of our testing process.
- It dominated our cleaning tests, scoring a 99.7%. One of the highest scores we’ve seen to date.
- Build quality felt great. While the pieces as plastic, they look and feel well put together and quality plastics.
- Shark APEX is easy to use, easy to maneuver, and stores all of the accessories on the unit.
The higher initial price tag is offset by the fact that you won’t have maintenance costs like replacement filters or bags. With a washable filter that helps reduce the annual costs of maintaining the vacuum.
Overall, it feels like an excellent value.
Shark APEX DuoClean Specifications
Specifications and features for the Shark APEX DuoClean with Zero-M Powered Lift-Away upright vacuum cleaner are below:
|Model||APEX DuoClean with Zero-M Powered Lift-Away AZ1002|
|Suction||Strong (exact AW unknown)|
|Dust Bin||0.88 quarts|
|Returns||Varies by retailer|
Who Should Buy the Shark APEX DuoClean Zero-M?
Is the Shark APEX the right vacuum purchase for you? After our battery of tests and performance compared to similar models, I believe the Shark DuoClean is a great vacuum cleaner perfect for many homes.
If you want the following features in a vacuum cleaner, you should consider purchasing the Shark APEX DuoClean with Zero-M Powered Lift-Away:
- Exceptional Performance – the APEX DuoClean scored a 99.7% on our cleaning tests, one of the best performances we’ve tested to date.
- Space saver and multi-tasker: The ability to save space by having an upright and handheld canister vacuum in one is great, especially when space is at a premium. In addition, being able to store all 4 attachments on the unit itself is a big plus.
- No maintenance costs: The initial price tag might be a little higher, but the fact that you don’t have to pay for maintenance costs helps to make up for it. Keeping the filters clean will ensure that your Shark APEX performs to its maximum potential.
- Have carpet and hard floors: With the flip of a switch, the Shark DuoClean goes from carpet to hard floors in a second. Move from one room to the other quickly so you can get vacuuming checked off your list even faster.
Looking for more information on the Shark APEX DuoClean? Click here.
- March 12, 2021 – Corrected an error on the Apex dust bin spec.
- October 5, 2020 – At some point since launch it seems that Shark removed a claim that the belts and filters would last a lifetime. A commenter brought that to our attention in October of 2020 and we updated the page accordingly to reflect this new information.
- August 13, 2019 – Initial version of the page was published.
Extraordinary Performance & Value
Design - 99%
Performance - 99%
Quality - 96%
Usability - 99%
Value - 97%
The Shark APEX DuoClean Zero-M is one of the best vacuums Shark builds. It scored well in our cleaning tests, where it achieved a rating of 99.7%. The build quality is excellent and feels several degrees better than Shark’s lower priced Navigator and Rotator uprights (both of which we also really like). The APEX is a more pricey vacuum, but well built with great features and performance. It’s a strong recommendation from the team at Modern Castle.