Shark’s Value-Priced Pet-Friendly Cordless Vac
Shark Rocket Pet ProThe Shark Rocket Pet Pro (IZ162H) is Shark’s newest vacuum designed for dogs, cats, and other pets. The advanced brushroll captures more pet hair and resists tangles better than older models. It has a 40-minute run time, three cleaning modes, and a washable dust bin and filter. Check Price
- Long run time of up to 40 minutes
- 2-in-1 design
- Improved brushroll design for fewer tangles
- Small dust bin capacity
- Does not come with a wall storage tool (or the ability to stand upright on its own)
The Shark Pet Pro is a cordless stick vacuum with a lightweight feel and good run time (up to 40 minutes). It is designed as a 2-in-1 vacuum that can be used as a portable handheld or an upright stick.
The vacuum is composed of basically three parts:
- In-hand vacuum (with dust bin)
- Wand (standard or MultiFlex, depending on the model)
- Cleaning head
All parts join together with a quick-connect design that makes it easy to reconfigure the vacuum as your needs change between stick and handheld vacuum.
The brushroll on the Rocket Pet has been redesigned to prevent tangles from hair or other debris.
It uses a hybrid spiral design that features a bright yellow rubberized blade that sweeps debris through the brushroll and directs it into the dust bin.
This updated design is made to tackle pet messes, but would also be an improvement if you vacuum long hair frequently in your home.
For comparison, the image above shows the standard brushroll (on left) and the improved Dirt Engage brushroll (on right).
The controls on the Shark Pet Pro are accessible from the handle, right above the dust bin. It is a sliding control that has three functions:
- Off: turns the vacuum off
- Setting 1: uses a low suction power for cleaning hard surface flooring or low traffic areas; longer battery life than Setting 2
- Setting 2: uses a higher suction power for cleaning carpeted floors or high traffic areas; shorter battery life than Setting 1
Boost mode can be used intermittently for maximum suction power on higher traffic areas.
There is an LED on the battery that shows three bars to indicate varying levels of battery life in use.
- Full charge: 3 solid bars
- Mid charge: 2 solid bars
- Low charge: 1 solid bar
- Nearly empty: 1 flashing bar
- No charge: 0 bars
When you’re charging it back up, it uses the same LEDs to indicate the battery recharging.
- Low charge: 1 bar flashing
- Mid charge: 1 solid bar and 1 flashing bar
- Nearly full charge: 2 bars and 1 flashing bar
- Full charge: 3 solid bars
RELATED – What’s the best cordless stick vacuum?
How big is the vacuum?
The Shark Rocket Pet Pro is pretty reasonably sized for a cordless vacuum. Exact dimensions are:
- Length – 46.1″
- Height – 10.2″
- Width – 7.1″
- Weight – 7.17 pounds
What’s in the box?
The Shark Rocket Pet Pro includes the following cleaning tools and accessories:
- Shark Rocket Pet Pro (model = IZ162H)
- Standard wand (some of the Shark Rocket Pet Pro vacuums come with the MultiFlex wand)
- Dirt Engage cleaning head
- Crevice tool
- Upholstery tool
While we haven’t been able to run full tests on this Shark vacuum yet, there are a few assumptions we can make based on prior test results from Shark.
Below, we’ve included the test results from the Shark IONFlex DuoClean. Similarities between these two models include:
- Vacuum style
- Overall size
- Suction power
One area where we saw the DuoClean vacuum struggle was on fine debris tests, like when cleaning sugar.
The DuoClean cleaning head uses a soft roller brushroll, while the Rocket Pet Pro uses a spiral hybrid of soft brushes and rubberized paddles.
I would not expect the Pet Pro to struggle with fine debris in the same way as the IONFlex DuoClean did. However, it would not surprise us to find it has more difficulties in high pile carpets.
As a result, cleaning performance is still likely to be similar between the two vacuums. However, we would expect the more expensive Shark IONFlex to be a better performer.
RELATED – What’s the best Shark vacuum?
Getting started with the Shark Rocket Pet vacuum is pretty easy. The battery does not come charged so first things first…
- Unbox the vacuum and remove all packaging.
- Charge the battery to prepare for the first cleaning cycle.
- Familiarize yourself with all parts and accessories.
All of the parts connect or disconnect using a quick release button so it’s easy to reconfigure the Shark if you are switching back and forth between a stick vac and handheld vac mode.
Manueverabuiltiy of the Shark Rocket is great and includes a few features unique to Shark. Some of our favorite maneuverability features include:
- Cordless design
- Compact dustbin
- Lightweight design
- Shallow cleaning head
What is MultiFlex?
Some submodels of the Shark Rocket Pet Pro come with a MultiFlex wand instead of the standard rigid wand.
The MultiFlex wand in particular is a fantastic feature that allows you to squeeze under furniture without having to lean down as far.
For comparison, here’s a shot of Dyson’s newest cordless vacuum, the V11 Outsize. You can find our Dyson V11 Outsize review here.
While this vacuum also allows for a pretty great recline, it does require you to crouch down lower because of the rigid wand.
Storing the Shark Rocket Pet Pro
If you opt for the model with the MultiFlex wand, you can rotate the vacuum over itself and cut the storage height almost in half.
If you opt for the model with the standard wand, storing is a bit more difficult. This vacuum does not come with a wall mount or any way to store vertically and it cannot stand on its own.
The list for proper maintenance of the Shark Rocket isn’t very long.
In fact, it boils down to just a few quick tasks. Here are a couple quick items to keep an eye on in order to keep your Shark Rocket running smoothly:
1. Empty or wash the dust bin, as needed.
The dust bin is fairly small so you may need to empty it more often. But the dust bin is washable with cold water. Allow it to dry for 24 hours before reinstalling.
To empty the dust bin, release the bin from the body of the vacuum. Slide a latch on the side which opens the lid to the dust bin and allows debris to freely fall out of the vacuum.
RELATED: Looking for a vacuum that forces the debris out? Check out the Dyson V8 cordless stick.
2. Clean or replace the filters, as needed.
The Rocket Pet vacuum uses two filters; the pre-motor and post-motor filter. Here’s how to clean each one.
- Removing the pre-motor filter: Press the dustbin release button and remove it from the vacuum. Pull the foam and felt filters out of the back of the bin.
- Removing the post-motor filter: Remove the dust bin from the body of the vacuum. Pull the post-motor filter of the handheld portion of the vacuum.
All of the filters are washable to help them last longer. To clean them simply rinse with cold water and allow at least 24 hours for them to dry.
3. Charge the battery as needed.
The battery can run for approximately 40 minutes or less, depending on the suction mode selected. The battery is removable from the vacuum.
When it’s time to charge up, uninstall the battery from the vacuum housing and click it into the charging base.
Is the Pet Pro a good value?
So let’s talk value. Is the Shark Rocket Pet Pro worth the cost?
Overall, I would say yes. Shark is a reputable brand, known for quality parts at an affordable price.
This vacuum doesn’t come with many fancy bells-and-whistles and the list of included accessories is far from exhaustive.
It’s a bare-bones package, but I would expect the cleaning performance to be comparable to the Shark IONFlex DuoClean, which has a similar body style.
Given the price point, the included accessories and other features make sense. Ultimately, it’s the convenience of the cordless vacuum, 40 minute run time, and pet hair friendly brushroll that really makes this vacuum a good value.
Shark Rocket Pet Pro Specifications
Below is a complete list of important specifications and features included on the Shark Rocket Pet Pro cordless vacuum:
|Specs||Shark Rocket Pet Pro|
|Model||Rocket Pet Pro|
|Floor Type||All (indoor)|
|Dustbin Capacity||Not Listed|
|Bagless||Yes; washable dust bin|
|Returns||Varies by retailer|
|Warranty||1 Year limited|
Who Should Buy the Shark Pet Pro?
I would recommend the Shark Rocket Pet Pro if you’re looking for the following features:
- Long run time: This Shark can run for up to 40 minutes, which should be more than sufficient for most cleaning jobs. The suction doesn’t automatically adjust for varying floor types, but it’s easy to switch between Boost, and Suction Level 1 or 2.
- Want a good value: If you don’t need top-of-the-line, the Shark Rocket Pet Pro is a good choice because the price tag isn’t too high, considering what you’re getting. It has good suction and usability, but would be considered “mid-range” compared to most other models on the market.
- Don’t need many accessories: The Rocket Pet comes with a minimal amount of accessories and cleaning tools. There are additional tools you can purchase online from retailers like Amazon.com. One handy tool that is missing from the collection entirely is a hanging storage tool.
- March 27, 2020 – Initial version of the page was published. Initial version was a pre-test review, meaning we have not yet personally tested this product. All scores are estimated based on comparative models we have tested, as well as known specs, features, and performance.
Cordless Pet Vacuum
The Shark Rocket Pet Pro is a cordless stick vacuum with a 40-minute run time, 3-mode variable suction power, and an advanced tangle-reducing brushroll. It is designed for homes with pets and hair. Other handy features includes the rechargeable click-in battery, washable dustbin, and washable filters. The dust bin is fairly small, but considering the lightweight and portable nature of this vacuum, I don’t think it’s really designed for deep cleaning huge areas. That being said, it is a useful 2-in-1 vacuum suited for a variety of cleaning jobs around your home.