Pollen Sensing Air Purifier
Smartmi P1 Air PurifierThe Smartmi P1 air purifier offers pollen-detect sensors that can detect and capture these microscopic particles. During our tests, this purifier effectively improved indoor air quality by 95% and reduced PM2.5 and PM10 to 0.1 and 0.2 µg/m³ (micrograms per cubic meter of air). It can automatically adjust fan speed as indoor air quality changes and has a clear digital display on top of the unit, making it a user-friendly interface.Check Price
- Can detect pollen in the air and remove it
- Crisp display with easy-to-use controls and an app-based interface
- Great performance during our tests
- Excellent CADR (clean air delivery rate) at this price point
- Aesthetically it looks nice, but the metal case feels a bit on the thin side
- Only available on IndiGoGo currently
A Tiny Titan Improving Your Air
The Smartmi P1 air purifier is a pollen-sensing purifier that can treat rooms up to 320 sf. It has a user-friendly design interface and can be controlled with the digital display, smartphone app, or even via smart integration when paired with devices like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, or Apple HomeKit. During our tests, it performed well and improved overall air quality by over 95%. This unit is easy to maintain and requires filter replacement once every 6-12 months (varies depending on use). For users specifically concerned with allergy / pollen response who are also on a budget, the Smartmi would be a solid option.
If you would prefer to watch rather than read, we’ve got our full SmartMi P1 review video below:
To assess the performance of any air purifier that comes through our doors we put it through the same tests.
Here’s how it goes.
- We set up the purifier in a medium-sized room in my home (approx ~14’x10′).
- Then we take a baseline measurement of the current air quality.
- We run each purifier for an hour in the room.
- And then we retest the air quality to see how much it improved.
What were the results?
- PM2.5: 5.1
- PM10: 9.7
- Particles: 194
- AQI: 21
After 1 Hour
- PM2.5: 0.1
- PM10: 0.2
- Particles: 13
- AQI: 1
Within 1 hour this purifier removed 93.3% of air particulates from the medium-sized room we tested in (~12’x12′) and improved PM2.5 air quality by over 95%.
It reduced the PM2.5 and PM10 counts to fractions of the original counts. In many cases, any purifier that gets these numbers at or below 0.5 would be pretty solid in my book.
The Smartmi numbers were 0.1 (PM2.5) and 0.2 (PM10), which was a fantastic score, especially considering the size of the unit.
Smartmi P1 Design
The Smartmi P1 air purifier has a cylindrical body with machined air intake holes and a simple, sleek aesthetic.
It has rounded edges on the base and crisper lines on the top. The center of the unit has a central area for the display with composite fins for clean air to be distributed through the room.
On top of the unit is a glossy black display with a user-friendly interface. In the middle is a numerical display that details the current PM2.5 levels in tech style numerals.
Controls around the outer ring of the circle are for:
- Power on / off
- Set a timer
- Adjust fan speed
- Pollen detect (the green light)
How it Works?
Dirty air enters the purification system via air intake vents at the base of the unit. A large H13 360° HEPA filter sifts through the air, removing airborne particulates and allergens.
The Smartmi is specialized in its ability to sense and capture pollen/VOCs in the air. This makes it a good choice for people who struggle with seasonal allergies especially.
A dual set of sensors scan for pollen in the air with auto-detection technology that can alert and respond automatically when high levels are detected.
Size & Dimensions
The Smartmi P1 is a medium-sized air purifier. It is only 14″ tall and 8.75″ in diameter.
The diameter is similar to the diameter of the Molekule Mini, but the Smartmi is 9″ shorter (only 14″ tall).
- Width: 8.75″ diameter
- Height: 14” tall
- Weight: 6.4 lbs.
It’s small enough to be portable and easy to move as needed. There is also a carrying handle on top of the purifier. This wide handle is leather and has some flexibility and softness to it.
What comes in the box?
Upon unboxing, you’ll find a basic set of parts and accessories. It doesn’t include anything over-the-top, but simply includes the parts you would need for basic operation.
The contents of the box includes:
- Smartmi P1 air purifier
- H13 360° HEPA filter
- Power cord
- User manual
RELATED – HEPA filter MERV ratings
Some notable features on the Smartmi P1 air purifier include:
- App control
- Auto-detection (for pollen and other VOCs)
- Smart Integration
- Good area coverage
Here’s a bit more information about these features and how they impact the overall performance of the purifier:
#1. App Control
When connected to your local wifi network, the Smartmi P1 can be paired with your smartphone for remote control.
From our experience, the app was easy to set up (took about 5 minutes) and added some nice usability features that enhanced the overall user experience.
Using the app, you can remotely:
- Turn the purifier on / off
- Check current air quality
- Send notifications to your phone
- Monitor filter replacement schedules
#2. Auto Detection
As mentioned above, the Smartmi has the ability to detect the presence of pollen and other VOCs in the air and adjust the fan speed accordingly to capture these particles.
#3. Smart Integration
The Smartmi can be controlled using the app or through smart integration using one of the following platforms:
- Apple Homekit
- Google Assistant
- Amazon Alexa
When paired with a smart device, you can access additional features like voice control, syncing with schedules, or setting up smart scenes.
#4. Good Area Coverage
This purifier has a max area coverage of approximately 320 square feet, which is can treat in about 10 minutes.
The performance is fast and that’s mostly thanks to the 250m³/h CADR and redesigned wind tunnel system.
All in all, it’s a solid purifier that would be suitable for medium to large-sized rooms and sold at a lower than expected price point.
Setup & Usability
Setting up the Smartmi air purifier was simple and quick. For a step-by-step list:
- Unbox the purifier.
- Plug it in.
- Turn it on.
The Smartmi starts in Auto Mode so you basically don’t have to touch it, but if you want to manually adjust the fan speeds you can do that as well.
After the sensors have gotten their initial measurements, it will display the current PM levels and get to work.
Maintenance on the Smartmi P1 is also quick and easy. The main things you have to do include:
- Occasionally wipe down the air vents as needed.
- Replace the filter as needed.
The manufacturer’s recommendation for filter replacement is once every 6-12 months.
When it’s time to replace the filter, the Smartmi will prompt you on the display screen so there’s no guessing needed.
Replacing the filter is easy. Just turn the purifier over to access the bottom of the unit. On the bottom, there is a notch in the base where you can twist the shell apart from the base.
Separating these pieces will expose the HEPA filter and allow you to replace the filter. Install the new filter, slide the shell back into place, and twist to lock.
Is the P1 a good value?
Ok so let’s talk bottom dollar—is the Smartmi P1 worth the money?
The short answer is yes. This purifier is not expensive at all considering the price of other models on the market and the level of the P1’s performance.
- Excellent performance: improved indoor air quality by over 95% during our performance tests, reducing air quality index to 1.
- Smart control: easy to use app and / or smart integration with partner devices like Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, etc.
- Touch screen display: easy to adjust touch-screen display
|Width (inches)||8.75" dia.|
|Area Coverage||Up to 320 sf.|
|Returns||Varies by retailer|
Who should buy the Smartmi P1?
All things considered, I was satisfied with the specs, performance, and overall experience with the Smartmi P1 air purifier. It feels like a high-quality purifier and has the performance data to back it up.
I would recommend the Smartmi if you’re looking for the following features in an air purifier:
- Fast purification of medium to large spaces: The Smartmi can treat rooms up to 320 sf. within a 10-minute time span. It is fast, efficient, and the performance testing we ran showed that it was able to improve indoor air quality by a significant level.
- Simple controls: This air purifier has the option for touch display controls, smartphone controls, or smart integration using an AI like Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, or Amazon Alexa.
- Sleek design: The look of this purifier mimics the high-dollar design of the Molekule air purifier, but at a fraction of the cost. If aesthetics are highly important to you, there’s not much to not like about the design of this purifier.
- January 29, 2021 – Corrected an error regarding the display that the manufacturer brought to our attention. Also updated info about the handle, which the brand has decided to change to a standard leather handle, as opposed to the original design, which was vegan.
- January 21, 2021 – Initial version of the page was published.