On the hunt for an air purifier that has a self-adjusting Auto Mode, but also won’t break the bank? The TaoTronics air purifier may be a great option for you.
Check out all the details and the full specs below.
Budget Price, Impressive Performance
TaoTronics TT-AP003The TaoTronics air purifier is a budget purifier that is a solid value, while also boasting impressive features like Auto Mode and 3 manually adjustable fan speeds. It is pretty compact, while still being large enough to treat rooms up to 370 sf. In our tests it was able to reduce PM2.5 to 0.1, PM10 to 0.2, and AQI to 2. It’s a great mid-range air purifier for a good value.Check Price
- Area coverage of up to 370 sf.
- Has an Auto Mode
- 3 fan speeds, timer, and Sleep Mode
- Cannot treat large, open-concept spaces effectively
The overall performance of this purifier was good. It treated the air quickly and effectively, improving the air quality and being efficient as well.
How do we test?
To test the performance of this purifier, we put it through the same test we do for all of our purifiers. To start, we use a professional air quality detector to get a baseline reading for the existing air quality in a medium-sized room.
INFO: For our tests, we used the Temtop LKC-1000S+ unit for air quality readings.
At this point, we let it run for about an hour and then retested the air quality.
The difference between the baseline and post-run data gives a solid picture of how well the air purifier was able to improve indoor air quality.
What were the results?
- PM2.5: 1.4
- PM10: 2.3
- Particles: 253
- AQI: 6
After 1 Hour
- PM2.5: 0.1
- PM10: 0.2
- Particles: 16
- AQI: 2
Within 1 hour the TaoTronics air purifier removed 93.7% of air particulates from the medium-sized room we tested in.
The TaoTronics improved PM2.5 air quality by 92.9%. Overall, the performance was pretty good. Any air purifier capable of achieving a PM2.5 of 0.1 is part of a fairly small group of units.
The TaoTronics TT-AP003 air purifier has a large matte white body with soft rounded corners. It is designed for medium to large-sized rooms (up to 370 sf) with smart features like automatic adjusting fan speed, 3 different manual speeds, and a sleek look.
The front of the unit is the air intake and the top of the unit is the outlet vents.
Filtration on the TaoTronics involves three stages of purification with 3 seperate filters. The three stages include:
- Fine pre-filter: designed to capture larger particles like loose pet hair, pet dander, dust, or other small airborne debris
- HEPA filter: captures particles as small as 0.3 microns
- Activated carbon filter: for odors like smoke, food, or pets
The manufacturer recommends replacing the filter every 3-6 months for optimal use.
All of the controls for the TaoTronics are located on the top of the purifier, which is pretty typical for this type of unit.
There are 6 buttons and a central display screen. The controls (from left to right) include:
- Child Lock (long press 3x)
- Timer (long Press 3x to reset the filter)
- Adjust Speed
- Auto Mode
- Sleep Mode
- On / Standby
The display screen in the middle is used to show current levels, like fan speed and air quality.
On the TaoTronics air purifier, there are 4 different modes and special features to select from.
The primary modes include:
- Timer: sets a pre-determined length of time for the purifier to run before turning off; select from 1, 2, 4, or 8-hour intervals
- Sleep Mode: runs the purifier on the quietest setting and dims the central display; operating decibels around 32dB
- Auto Mode: uses on-board smart sensors to set the necessary fan speed based on current air conditions, automatically adjusts
- Manual Fan Adjust: manually select from 3 different fan speeds—low, medium, and high
Size & Dimensions
It is designed to sit on the floor in an open area.
The exact dimensions are:
- Width: 12.8″ diameter
- Height: 19.7″ tall
- Depth: 6.8″ deep
- Weight: 13.64 lbs.
Accessories & Parts
What all comes with the TaoTronics TT-AP003? The set of parts is pretty basic. It includes:
- TaoTronics air purifier
- HEPA filter
- Carbon filter
- User manual / quick start guide
Here’s what each of the filters looks like:
Setup & Usability
Setting up the TaoTronics TT-AP003 air purifier was simple and intuitive. Here’s the quick rundown of steps:
- Unbox the purifier and remove all excess packaging.
- Install the filters.
- Plug the unit in.
- Power on.
Once the unit is on you can either manually select a fan speed (low, medium, or high) or select Auto Mode. When in Auto Mode, the TT-AP003 will use onboard sensors to determine real-time air quality and adjust the fan speed to best match the current conditions.
Proper maintenance on this air purifier basically includes two simple tasks.
- Wipe down the air intake and outlet grills with a dry, lint-free cloth.
- Replace the filters as needed, or every 3-6 months as recommended
Based on these recommendations, it seems like the filters needs to be replaced more often than other brands we’ve tested. A 6-12 month HEPA filter lifespan is pretty typical for many units we’ve tested.
It’s a bit unclear as to whether or not that is just the manufacturer being overly cautious or an actual short lifespan for the filters.
Either way, there is a filter replacement indicator on the display screen so it will simply let you know when it’s time to replace.
Is the TaoTronics TT-AP003 a good value?
Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the value factor of this purifier. It’s not at the highest end in terms of performance, but it’s also pretty reasonably priced for what you get.
One of the best features that this purifier has to offer is the Auto Mode. Auto Mode is typically only seen in higher-end units, so falling well under $200 and having this advanced feature certainly gives a nod to the TaoTronics.
|Filters||3; pre-filter, HEPA, and carbon|
|Room Coverage||~370 sq. ft.|
|Returns||Varies by retailer|
Should you buy the TaoTronics TT-AP003?
Okay, so we’ve run through the features, specs, and other important details about the TaoTronics.
Is this air purifier the right one for you? Overall, I would recommend this model if you’re looking for an air purifier with the following features:
- Compact size: The TaoTronics air purifier is a pretty compact purifier that has a smaller body style, but the ability to clean medium to large rooms (up to 370 sf).
- Auto mode: This purifier has 3 different manual fan speeds and also an Auto Mode. The Auto Mode uses sensors on the unit to determine real-time air quality and automatically adjust accordingly.
- Budget price: Considering the sleek aesthetic, good performance, and integrated Auto Mode, the price tag under $200 is a solid value. If you’re looking for a budget option, but don’t want to give up the nicer features, this model could be a good pick.
Good Coverage + Auto Mode
The TaoTronics AP003 air purifier is a budget-friendly HEPA purifier. It performed well in our tests reducing PM2.5 to 0.1. It’s suitable for medium sized rooms up to 370 square feet. The controls and design are simple and it includes an auto mode. The TaoTronics is a solid purifier for the money.