Today’s blog post is all about accent lighting and we’re diving into the Novostella LED light kit to get the rundown.
Smart Full RGB Flood Light
Novostella Smart LED Flood LightThe Novostella is a bright smart flood light controlled via the app and/or voice control. With full RGB there are over 16 million color combinations available. Set a schedule, scenes, colors, brightness, and more. The setup was less than easy and is by far the biggest con. However, the lights are definitely bright and easy to use once fully setup.Check Price
- Bright light output: The output on this LED flood light is quite bright. It does exactly what it was designed to do in terms of lighting a dimly lit space.
- Preset or custom scenes: Setting up different scenes is a cool feature on this light.
- Tons of colors: There are 16,000,000 different color combinations. If you want to add color to your home or landscape exterior the Novostella is a good place to start.
- No on-off switch: To turn this light on or off, you’ll need to unplug it or control it indirectly from the smartphone app. The smartphone control is obviously nice, but nothing really beats a simple ” on / off” in my opinion.
- Complex setup: Getting this system up and running was more complex than it should be. I would consider myself to be very “tech-saavy”, yet the process was still long and overly complex.
- Tricky install: If you’re going to mount it to a wall or other hard physical structure the install isn’t too bad, as you simply attach it using the steel bracket and screws. However, if you want to simply rest it on the ground as we did the position of the wire and antenna make that more difficult. It would be great if the power cord came out of the side of the unit.
This light may be small, but it packs a punch in terms of total light output and can be an easy way to add a splash of color to your exteriors.
Follow along as we dive into the details and specs of this ultra-bright flood light.
What does it look like?
The Novostella has a compact body, all black aluminum case, and a glass face. Novostella’s die-cast aluminum shell is scratch resistant and fade-proof, which makes it a nice option for exterior applications.
It uses a 2-pack of 20W Smart RGBCW (which means full RGB + white warm + daylight warm) LED flood lights. The lights themselves are positioned and designed for heat dissipation and maximum light output (max 2000 lumens, 80+CRI).
What does it do?
This light is designed to easily color wash a surface using a bright LED flood light. It is made especially for exterior facades, gardens, patios, or special events.
This light can be used outside in uncovered conditions, as it is waterproof and in a sealed shell.
This flood light works in temperatures from -25°C to 40°C (-13°F – 104°)
2. Custom Colors
The colors of this light can be customized, with a full range of up to 16 million different color combinations.
COLORED LIGHT | You can use a simple RGB sliding color wheel on the app to specify any color in the RGB spectrum. Adjust hue, saturation, and brightness for a totally custom color.
WHITE LIGHT | There is also a range of white light available, from ultra cool white light, to daylight tones, to warmer hues with more yellow in them. Pick the right white for your space by sliding your finger across the scale on the app.
Color temperature for Novostella white light ranges from 2700 – 6500K.
In addition to custom colors, the Novostella can also customize light scenes. There are 8 preset scenes to pick from.
4. App Control
It’s easy to control the Novostella LED floor light with a smartphone or tablet by using their digital app.
Using the app, you can:
- Turn on/off
- Select colors
- Adjust brightness
- Set schedule
- Set sunrise and sunset
- Group control
- Scenes (preset or custom)
The app itself is compatible with Android & iOS and allows you to control the light from anywhere.
How hard is setup?
Setup for this LED flood light can be a little tricky and cumbersome, honestly. The process is long and it doesn’t help that the manual is pretty small.
Here’s the steps you’ll need to follow:
- Attach the antenna to the light.
- Install the Smart Life app on your phone.
- Open the app.
- Plug the light in. It should start blinking.
- On the app, click the + on the top right.
- Select lighting, then choose the LED light.
- Wait for it to pair, then enter your Wi-Fi password
You can also follow Novostella’s video setup tutorial here.
The Novostella is by one the most difficult to setup smart devices we’ve tested to date. Our first attempt took us 30 minutes, which we ultimately had to end and email the manufacturer for help.
With their updated instructions we were able to then pair it in about 5 minutes.
The Bottom Line
So all things considered, should you buy the Novostella flood light? I would recommend this light if you’re looking for the following features in an outdoor flood light.
- Endless color options: If you don’t want to be tied down to a certain color, the Novostella is nice because it provides a wide range of options, including 16 million different hues on the RGB scale. It also offers white light ranging in temperature from 2700K – 6500K.
- Easy to pair: If you want something that can easily pair with other lights, the Novostella is a good option. You can link multiple lights together to create seamless exterior lighting across your whole house or outdoor space.
- Bright light output: This light certainly has some design setbacks, but at the end of the day, it is what it says that it is… a very bright outdoor flood light. Once you work through the quirks, the light output really is the feature that makes this light impressive.
Hard to Setup, Easy to Use
Novostella is a bright LED flood light with tons of color options and features via the app. The setup is unnecessary complex, in part due the design itself (not having an on / off switch). In addition, the position of the power cord on the base is a weird choice as it make it difficult to simply set the light on the ground. That said, once setup and properly installed using the Novostella is easy and painless. The app was straight forward, the settings are intuitive, and in terms of performance it does exactly what it says it will.