Meco Wireless CameraThe Meco wireless camera is a budget camera that installs quickly, is battery-powered, and provides various options for surveillance through motion detection. It offers 720p or 1080p video resolution and 3 different modes for monitoring. While it struggled with overexposure during our video tests, overall, the camera performed well when under more balanced lighting conditions. Check Price
- Rechargeable camera that lasts 2-6 months between charges
- Cloud-based storage or local storage on an SD card (SD card not included with camera)
- 2 modes of video quality; 720p or 1080p
- Struggles with overexposure on the video feed when under brighter conditions
- Doesn’t include power adapter for charging camera
10 SECOND SUMMARY: Overall I would say the performance of the Meco was pretty decent. The video was good, better indoors than outdoors, and the audio was okay. It was easier to detect audio as it got closer, but exact dialogue was hard to detect. The app was easy to setup and use and scored the camera quite a few points for usability.
Indoors, the video quality of the Meco camera was pretty good. It has the option to switch between SD and HD (that’s 720ppi vs 1080ppi) which is a unique feature to this camera.
Outdoor video quality depends a bit more on the position of the camera. In the image below, for instance, the color, clarity, and overall performance looks pretty good. The balance between sun and shade seems to be working in Meco’s favor at this spot.
However, when placed in a position with more direct sunlight, the results weren’t quite as impressive, as you can see below. The sunlight coming in under the patio causes an issue with overexposure and burnout. This could ultimately make it difficult to see the details of figures in these washout portions of the feed.
Depending on the exact location you plan on installing the Meco, overexposure can worsen to a point that the subjects in the feed are nearly unrecognizable which would also make motion detection difficult.
For night use, the Meco offers three different modes:
- Automatic night mode
- Black and white image mode
- Color image mode
Using different modes may enable you to enhance clarity or contrast of the footage on the feed.
RELATED – See all of our home security camera tests and reviews here.
For audio, the Meco camera has sound detection and 2-way audio which allows you to speak remotely through the camera.
The exact quality of the audio wasn’t all that impressive, but it’s a nice add if that’s an important feature to you.
The Meco App
Connecting to the Meco smart app is simple and takes less than 5 minutes. There are prompts provided which guide you through the pairing process.
Interface for the app is simple and user-friendly. There are large icons to highlight different features within the app and a large visual image of the live feed.
From the app you can access the following features:
- Select video quality (720p or 1080p)
- View WiFi signal strength
- 2-way audio
- Take a screenshot of live video
- Enable body detection
- Record a live event to save or share with friends
- Adjust sensitivity of motion detection
- View an event in the past
- Sound an audible alarm
The design of the Meco wireless camera is simple and modern. It has a glossy white shell with rounded edges and a glossy black faceplate where the camera lens and sensors are.
The back of the camera has a rest button, micro USB input to charge it up, and a micro SD card slot.
- Night vision: view nighttime footage in auto mode, black and white, or full color
- Rechargeable battery: uses a USB cord to charge up when the battery drains; takes approx. 6 hours for a full charge
- High definition: view footage in 720p (standard) or 1080p (HD)
- Waterproof: resistant to rain and other elements, good for outdoor or indoor use
- Magnetic mount: magnetic mount makes it easy to take the camera up or down when it’s time to charge
What’s in the box?
- Meco camera
- Magnetic ball mount
- Fixed stand (optional)
- Micro USB Cable
- Quick User Guide
- Double-side adhesive (for install)
- Install screws and reset needle
One interesting thing about this package is that it does not include a power adapter for charging the camera. It states that “you can use your phone charger”. You can still charge it via USB power, but this is going to be slower than a power to USB charging adapter.
Setup & Usability
Concerning usability and setup, the Meco indoor / outdoor camera is fairly simple. Beyond unboxing the camera, you can follow the steps below to get started:
- Charge the camera fully prior to first use (approx 6 hours)
- Install the app onto your smartphone
- Follow the in-app prompts to pair the device
How easy is it to install?
It’s incredibly easy to install the Meco camera, assuming you have a flat, smooth surface. Simply stick the mount onto the wall and wait 12 hours. After waiting, you can safely secure the camera to the magnetic mount.
How easy is it to use?
When in use, the app sends push notification when motion is detected.
The Meco has a 120° range of vision and motion detection capabilities in the window of 26-40′.
As figures get closer or further away, outside of that window, you may not receive notifications of activity.
Does Meco require a subscription?
No, it is not required to purchase a paid subscription, but the subscription does provide a few more features.
Without a subscription, you could still install an SD card (purchased separately) for local storage.
If you don’t want to save video footage, you don’t need to pay for an SD card or the subscription. You can still get fast push notifications as activity happens in real-time sent directly to your smartphone.
With a paid subscription, you could opt in for cloud-based storage. The would allow you to save, share, or review video feeds from the past.
|Video Quality||720p or 1080p|
|Night Vision||3 modes; auto, black/white, or color|
|Field of View||120°|
|Local Storage||SD card (not included) storage or remote cloud-based storage|
Should you buy the Meco Camera?
I would recommend the Meco if you’re looking for the following in a security camera:
- Free local video storage: If you want local storage without a paid subscription, the Meco offers it with the install of an SD card (purchased separately).
- Long lasting battery charge: The Meco recharges using a USB charger and with a full charge it can last between 2-6 months.
- Simple install: Since this camera is wireless, install is fast and easy. The mount uses 3M adhesive to stick onto the surface and then the camera attaches magnetically to the mount. No screws needed, unless you just want the extra peace-of-mind by using the secondary mount.
Decent Video Quality, Easy to to Install
- Design - 94%94%
- Performance - 83%83%
- Quality - 94%94%
- Usability - 93%93%
- Value - 93%93%
The Meco wireless camera can be used for indoor or outdoor use (though it’s designed for outdoor). It is rechargeable and uses a standard USB connection. To install the camera, there is a 3M backed magnetic mount that allows the camera to magnetically attach, no screws needed. During our performance tests, the video quality wasn’t great and did struggle a bit with overexposure in certain settings. But overall the quality was clear and sent fast push notifications to my smartphone when activity was detected. The SD local storage is another good feature with the Meco if you’re looking to save the expense of a monthly subscription.