A Smart Robot with Long Run Time
Robocist R850The Robocist R850 has a 100-minute run time and offers control options like physical remote control, app-based control, or even voice-control. This vacuum can self-adjust suction based on floor type and is designed to detect and avoid obstacles. Where there’s no mapping technology, the R850 still had solid cleaning performance (more so hardwoods than carpet). Check Price
- Long 100-minute run time
- Smart control; app control, voice control, or remote control
- Good cleaning performance on hardwoods
- Uses physical boundary strips instead of infrared or digital boundaries (boundary strips not included)
- Difficult to get replacement parts
- Struggles with finer debris on carpeted floors
The design of the Robocist is simple from the outside. The only button on the vacuum itself is the power on / off button.
All other controls or settings can be adjusted using the remote control or the smartphone app.
The underside of the vacuum is pretty simple. It has all of the typical things you’d find on most other robot vacuums including:
- Brushroll: located in the middle of the vacuum and uses a dual-design of soft spiral bristles and a rubberized sweeper blade to pull debris from the floor into the dust bin
- Spinning brushes (one on each side): used to capture dirt and debris from edges and corners and pulls it into the cleaning path of the Robocist
- Navigational wheels: two large wheels on either side of the brushroll help navigate across varying floor types, adjusting suction as needed.
- Directional wheel: a smaller directional wheel at the front of the vacuum is used to steer and turn the vacuum as it navigates the space
- Charging contact plates: two small plates on either side of the directional wheel ensures that the vacuum is charging properly when it returns to the docking station
This Robocist robot has four distinct cleaning modes:
- Auto: allows the vacuum to adjust mode and suction power as needed; returns to base when cleaning is complete
- Edge: runs a cleaning cycle around the perimeter of the room
- Spot: focuses the cleaning in a radial pattern starting in the area where you put it.
- Low Noise: best for running light cleaning cycles at a lower decibel level
Here’s a quick list of the top features on the Robocist R850:
- 100-minute run time
- 4 cleaning modes
- 1600Pa max suction
- Amazon Alexa enabled
- Scheduled cleanings
- Bristle / rubberized sweeper spiral brushroll
Size & Dimensions
The Robocist is about average size compared to other robot vacuums we’ve reviewed. Exact dimensions are:
- Diameter: 12.5″
- Height: 2.7″
- Weight: 5.9 pounds
Parts & Accessories
The Robocist robot comes with the following parts and accessories:
- Robocist R850 robot vacuum
- HEPA filter
- Spinning brushes (qty: 2)
- Charging base
- Charging cord
- Remote control
- Cleaning tool
- User guide
The remote control makes it easy to change settings or control the Robocist from a nearby location.
Controls on the remote include:
- Start or pause a cleaning cycle
- Auto mode
- Return to charging base
- Manual navigation
To test the cleaning performance, we ran a series of tests with the Robocist.
We tested performance on three different floor types (hardwoods, low pile carpet, and high pile carpet) and against a mix of debris, including cereal, rice, sugar, and kitty litter.
How’d it do?
Cleaning performance on the Robocist R850 was reasonably good. It was more successful at cleaning hardwood floors and struggled a bit with fine debris on carpet.
Note that all of our tests were on MAX suction mode.
On hardwood floors, the R850 robot did a nearly flawless job. It left a little debris in the corners, but otherwise, performance was excellent.
The Robocist captured 98% of debris during our hardwood floor test.
Cleaning Low Pile Carpet
On low pile carpet, it struggled more. The biggest miss was sugar and other fine particles.
The Robocist captured 88% of particles, overall, on low pile carpet.
Cleaning High Pile Carpet
On high pile carpet, the results were pretty consistent with the results on low pile carpet. The vacuum struggled with the smaller debris types, missing mostly sugar.
Overall, the R850 captured 85% of debris from the high pile carpet tests.
Setup & Usability
Usability on the Robocist is simple and pretty intuitive. The majority of controls and settings can be modified on the app, but the remote control is also a nice add if you prefer more manual controls.
How do you set it up?
Setting up the R850 vac basically includes the following steps:
- Unbox the vacuum and remove all original packaging.
- Install the spinning brushes.
From this point, you can do one of the following:
- For instant setup, just press clean. The vacuum will begin an Auto cycle. You can also use the remote control immediately without any additional setup.
- For smarter setup, install the Robocist app on your smartphone and pair the vacuum to your wifi network. This will allow you to control the robot using your smartphone.
- For scheduled setup, you can use the app to to schedule cleaning cycles on particular days or at particular times.
Is the Robocist a good value?
Okay, so specs, features, and performance aside, the question remains— is the Robocist a good value? I would say it is pretty good.
There are some nice features here, like smart control, long run time, and auto mode with self-adjustign suction power.
This vacuum did struggle with fine debris on carpet so that could be something to consider if you have a high traffic carpeted space.
In addition, it can be difficult to find replacement parts. If you plan on using this robot vacuum long term, the need for replacement parts will likely arise.
Not being able to find these parts easily is definitely a hit to the overall value, in my opinion.
RELATED – What’s the best Roomba for pet hair?
Robocist R850 Specifications
|Floor Type||All (indoor)|
|Suction Power||1400Pa standard; 1600Pa max|
|Returns||30 days via Amazon. Varies by retailer|
Who Should Buy the Robocist R850?
I would recommend the Robocist if you’re looking for the following in a robot vacuum:
- Smart control: This vacuum an be controlled using a remote control, app-based control, or be paired with a voice-control device like Amazon Alexa.
- Long run time: A long run time could be important if you have high traffic spaces or a large floor plan. The R850 can run for up to 100 minutes.
- Good performance on hardwoods: If you primarily have hardwoods, the Robocist will really shine. The performance was best on this floor type compared to carpeted floors.
Budget Robot with Wifi
- Design - 92%92%
- Performance - 90%90%
- Quality - 92%92%
- Usability - 94%94%
- Value - 93%93%
The Robocist R850 robot vacuum is a good buy if you’re looking for a simple, smart-controlled robot vacuum that excels on hardwood floors. We found that the R850 struggled with finer debris types on carpet floors, which did impact the overall performance of this vacuum. In addition, it can be difficult to find replacement parts and it doesn’t come with boundary strips. For all of the smart features that this vacuum includes, these points really take away from the overall user experience.