Simple Smart Outlet
Meross Smart PlugThe Meross smart plug is a single outlet plug with the ability to control lights, switches, fans, and more with both your voice and a variety of apps (Alexa, Google, etc.). As a smart plug, users also have the ability to set s shedule or routine with lights and other switches in their home. If you like the idea of adding a plug to create more of a smart home, the Meross is a low cost option that could be a good fit.Check Price
- Works through an app or voice controlled devices, such as Alexa and Google
- Has the ability to schedule times to turn devices on and off
- Not always easy to connect to Alexa
- Single outlet means you can only connect one device to the smart plug
Meross Smart Plug Design
The Meross smart plug has a simple design overall. There is not much to it, as it is only a single outlet with one power button along the side.
How does it work with devices around your home?
Meross works in a few different ways, but the main idea is always the same. This outlet allows users to control devices aroud their home without ever having to touch them.
That said, this can be done through the Meross smart plug app or through Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
How does the Meross Smart Plug look?
When placed in an outlet, the Meross smart plug looks natural. It is not bulky or overwhelming on your wall.
Additionally, the Meross is white, which blends in with most outlet plate covers, helping to create a flush look in your home.
Meross Size & Dimensions
The Meross smart plug is fairly small. Excluding the pin plugs, the Meross is 2.65″ wide, 2.65″ tall, and 1.55″ thick.
- Width – 2.65″
- Height – 2.65″
- Depth – 1.55″
Is the Meross Smart Plug Easy to Use?
Using the Meross smart plug is simple. But before you are able to use it, you do have to set it up.
How to set up the Meross
- Unbox the plug
- Plug the Meross into an outlet near your main WiFi source
- Download the Meross smartphone app
- Connect Meross to WiFi
After taking these four steps, you are ready to now use the Meross smart plug. Additionally, users can connect the plus to voice controlled devices, but this is not a necessary step of the setup process.
How easy is it to use the Meross app?
Using the Meross app is also straightforward. Once it is downloaded and connected to the Meross smart plug, there are a few separate screens within the app:
- Home – The home screen shows all of the devices that you have connected to the Meross plug.
- Scenes – Scenes are the user’s ability to customize when devices turn on and off around your home.
- Routines – Routines are time frames at which certain devices that are connected to the plug will turn on and off.
- Account – The account screen is the location at which users can connect their plug to Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant, as well as get support and update their plug.
Meross Mini Plug vs. Power Strip
The Meross smart mini plug is a single outlet smart plug whereas the Meross power strip has the ability to hold three devices through standard outlets, as well as two USB compatible devices.
There is no real difference in the usability of these two Meross plugs. The only difference boils down the aesthetic appeal as well as the number of devices that can be controlled by the power strip instead of the mini plug.
Is the Meross Plug a Good Value?
The Meross smart plug offers a good value. Although the unit we tested is a single outlet, it is inexpensive and easy-to-use.
Meross does offer larger outlets and power strips, which can house more than a single device at a time.
If you’re looking for a better, more efficient, way to control specific devices around your home (lights, fans, etc.), the Meross smart plug could be a good option. The price is low and the features are solid.
Who Should Buy the Meross Smart Plug?
The Meross smart plug is a nice addition to almost any home. Especially those homes that are trying to move more into the smart home lifestyle.
I would recommend the Meross smart plug if…
- You want to control lights and other devices from your phone – This smart plug gives users the ability to control devices from an app on their phone, once the device is plugged into the Meross smart plug. This means you don’t have manually operate your lights, fans, heaters, or other devices if connected to this plug but, can instead use your phone from any where with an internet connection.
- Want the ability to voice control your devices – In addition to the smart app, users can connect the plug to voice-enabled devices, such as Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant. Both allow users to use their voice to turn devices connected to the plug on and off.
- Want a simple look – As a single plug, this Meross smart plug is not a bulky or overwhelming addition to your home. Most users will not even notice it.
For more information on the Meross smart plug, see here.
Why did the Meross smart plug score the way it did?
- Design – Simple design, easy to setup, blends in, and has a physical button
- Performance – Does exactly what it claims to do and does it well
- Quality – Seems well made, but only longer term use will really be able to say for sure
- Usability – Easy to use, app makes sense, really not much too it
- Value – A little on the expensive side for a single smart plug
Easy to Use, Works Well
The Meross smart plug offers a simple design and great usability. Setup is easy, as is using the plug. Integrates easily with Amazon and Google (or as a standalone app). It’s definitely not the cheapest on the market, but seems well made. A solid product.